electric tripping out

gez

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
is there anything like an app or something else to tell you when one of the fuses trips out, it happened one night so we had system checked all seems ok but when it happened we lost the echo dot alarm call.

But that won't tell me a fuse has tripped, I have 3 freezers on that circuit.

But that won't tell me a fuse has tripped, I have 3 freezers on that circuit.
Mother use to have a plug that would beep when it didn't have power no idea where she got it though.

Would that do the job for you?

You could use a cheapo personal alarm of the type where you have to pull the shorting plug out to sound it. Bit of double sided tape for the alarm and attach the pull chain to the lever of the circuit breaker.
Nuisance tripping can be a bugger to find.

It's not really about the alarm thats just one thing, we have 3 freezers so don't want to lose contents if we are away, the kids will pop round and sort it if we lnew

It's not really about the alarm thats just one thing, we have 3 freezers so don't want to lose contents if we are away, the kids will pop round and sort it if we lnew
Just you and your wife. Away on holiday several times per year.
You knocking people off for their dosh and storing their bodies by any chance??

I can see your dilemma though. Who wants to come back from a couple of weeks in Greece to that stink. ;)

Been there with it tripping out and never got it sorted. Tv red eye gone i notice first and power plugs no feed and have to push it up a few times to reset it. It does have its own mind when it wants to trip out.

Reactions: gez
@gez

THIS one USB plugs into your router and it sends you an email when power goes off and also when power is restored.
That was a good find mate. Good price too.

I haven't been able to see how it monitors individual equipment such as the mcb tripping out. Looks like it only monitors total powercut. Be ok if the router was on the same circuit as the freezers though.

Last edited:
Having it plugged in to the router would not help, it relies on WiFi so if the router loses power then so does the device and it’s internet connection. It would let you know when power was restored.
Could be handy in gez’s situation though as long as the router is on a different circuit to the freezers. Would just need a mains to usb adaptor and plug it in the same line as the freezer.

Something like this would be the ultimate way of doing it but is quite expensive and requires a SIM card.
Mobeye PowerGuard CM4100 | MobeyeStore

Would be better with the usb detector mentioned and plugged in the same circuit as long as the router is not on the same line as the freezer.

if you want to monitor things on a different circuits to your router or nas drive there are apps that can ping things and alert you on loss of ping. I have used this one for work to monitor devices and cloud based servers. It does exactly what it claims to.

GitHub - louislam/uptime-kuma: A fancy self-hosted monitoring tool

You would need something that has an ip powered on the same circuits you want to monitor. A smart plug socket or WiFi repeater or some such would do.

Thanks everyone for suggestions will sort one of them soon👍👍👍

Having it plugged in to the router would not help, it relies on WiFi so if the router loses power then so does the device and it’s internet connection. It would let you know when power was restored.
Could be handy in gez’s situation though as long as the router is on a different circuit to the freezers. Would just need a mains to usb adaptor and plug it in the same line as the freezer.
@rawsy

Manufacturers advertise "The alert emails, which arrive directly on your smartphone, are managed by our Cloud Server; so even if your WiFi router turns off due to a power failure, the reception of alerts is guaranteed."

They must be pinging (interacting) it from their servers then alerting when they can’t communicate. Not a bad method. It does rely on the service being active though. I have seen cctv cloud systems get closed down when they don’t want to support them anymore. But you are correct this will work.

@gez I was reading through the reviews for the USB device, and the reviewer was in a similar situation to yourself, and this is how he has it set up.

To ensure all works reliably I have installed a wi-fi extender close to the socket in the outbuilding where the freezer is (alongside a USB power plug that the USB alarm pops into).
I can now contact a neighbour to reset the trip switch in the event of an outage - perfect!!!

Back