ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

just done another 250 changed the password let it boot up running fine for 10 mins then off again evryone in my area seems to have the same problem but no info on vm

just done another 250 changed the password let it boot up running fine for 10 mins then off again evryone in my area seems to have the same problem but no info on vm

VM rarely comment when it comes to counter-measures and system security. How often do they anounce keyrolls ?

i changed the login/password when i flashed it a year ago and mine has still been hit, i can still communicate with the modem and change config files, mac addys ect but it still goes off minutes later..totally baffled.

Was there not a post by someone not that long ago, saying something like this would happen, think the whole thread turned into a slagging match but was there some info in there that might help?

Ill go see if I can find it!

i changed the login/password when i flashed it a year ago and mine has still been hit, i can still communicate with the modem and change config files, mac addys ect but it still goes off minutes later..totally baffled.

it look like 2 hits ..at the mo are happening ...
1 a mac issue
2 modems getting brick

depends what area your in to what fault your having

i allways change the login details but mine have still been hit,, surboard still going

thanks for the advice- but i have changed passwords on the modems and none of them work - i changed them the first time i actually did the mod - so im not too sure if thats going to cure the ecm???

Doing a good job by all counts...not sure how there doing it as it will be a very complex solution they are using to target individual modems. my problem is slighty different as when i change the mac it is ok and then the bandwith drops of to a 1kb but will still load the pages after an age...strange.

it look like 2 hits ..at the mo are happening ...
1 a mac issue
2 modems getting brick
depends what area your in to what fault your having

Last edited:
Was there not a post by someone not that long ago, saying something like this would happen, think the whole thread turned into a slagging match but was there some info in there that might help?
Ill go see if I can find it!

Coretech I think it was and he also said in another thread he knew of a solution. But he still got slagged off.

Just change mine so far so good,all good fun watch the members online shoot up now.....:))

well the proof is in the thread......someone knew somthing

Without wanting to re-ignite the initial argument I cannot see any proof in the original thread that the guy did know something.... It's like me saying "Something is gonna happen to the tv stream"...Well yes eventually something will happen ie keyroll or different decryption method...However that doesn't mean I "knew" what was happening...

VM have been aware of this issue for a while and we all knew eventually that would take action...However we all know cable security in the US has been compromised so I think there are a few lessons we could learn from them...

whoa Vm has been a busy bee!!! well in away thats good news they can brick the 250 but cant stop them not yet anyway i think they might be attacking through the login or serial number or both so if any 1 has a spare or hasn't been hit yet could try changing ther login and serial number as all the serial numbers r the same with the infinte firmware so u might need to make it look more like the ambit original serial number but change the last few digits @ the end so if any1 have 1 thats not modded yet and is in 1 of the area thats hit can try this before going online and see what happends... here is the commmand to change the serial number

cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (replace the x with the numbers from ambit original serial #)
write

then press enter and reboot the modem

Without wanting to re-ignite the initial argument I cannot see any proof in the original thread that the guy did know something.... It's like me saying "Something is gonna happen to the tv stream"...Well yes eventually something will happen ie keyroll or different decryption method...However that doesn't mean I "knew" what was happening...
VM have been aware of this issue for a while and we all knew eventually that would take action...However we all know cable security in the US has been compromised so I think there are a few lessons we could learn from them...
Well its getting that time of the year when things go tits up and forums get busy,dont ya just luv it.......

whoa Vm has been a busy bee!!! well in away thats good news they can brick the 250 but cant stop them not yet anyway i think they might be attacking through the login or serial number or both so if any 1 has a spare or hasn't been hit yet could try changing ther login and serial number as all the serial numbers r the same with the infinte firmware so u might need to make it look more like the ambit original serial number but change the last few digits @ the end so if any1 have 1 thats not modded yet and is in 1 of the area thats hit can try this before going online and see what happends... here is the commmand to change the serial number
cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (replace the x with the numbers from ambit original serial #)
write
then press enter and reboot the modem

How many numbers on the 200's?

Hihi
whoa Vm has been a busy bee!!! well in away thats good news they can brick the 250 but cant stop them not yet anyway
Clearly we differ in our ideas of what good news is, lol
i think they might be attacking through the login or serial number
Pretty sure it's the login, the fourth one didn't go down when I changed that (although I do still now have three doorstops ~sigh~)

Still, it seems easy enough to get around for the moment

God knows what they have planned next mind

This guy made the am(cho) tool and mac scanner for us, so what would he have to gain scaring everybody, I dont think hes like certain other forum members playing games with us (no names mentioned).

How can you exactly proove a modem is dead anyway lol?

Back