ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

Interesting that there may be two different attacks happening at once !

Perhaps its different attack trials in different areas or maybe the attacks are related somehow.

The downside is they get plenty of feedback from places like this if its successful.

Hihi

They don't /need/ feedback, heh

I'm sure they are capable of counting the number of modems they're able to telnet into and erase the bootloader blocks on, which I'm quite sure is what happened

it's not a case of just send a packet and hope it hits something, they would have to cycle through every device connected (and given the pattern with which mine went down I'd say that's exactly what they did)

so how exactly do i enter these commands
hook it up via max232
open hyperterminal
when the options come up press p
then enter those commands and reboot modem?
Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

You dont need to hook up the max232 - just open a telnet session in hyperterm and the do the changes as advised in the first post!! The password and username will be changed when you reboot the modem!!

even though my 2 motorola`s (sb4200e)havent got a password the same thing has happened as 2 my 250`s last 10 mins then nothing actually says there still connected but its like being on a 1 kb connection , any ideas guys , would using smac sort this prob out i have changed macs also

Hihi

That is not the same problem, that is a completely different problem, the one happening here does not render your modems slow, it renders them dead and unbootable

Hihi
They don't /need/ feedback, heh
I'm sure they are capable of counting the number of modems they're able to telnet into and erase the bootloader blocks on, which I'm quite sure is what happened
it's not a case of just send a packet and hope it hits something, they would have to cycle through every device connected (and given the pattern with which mine went down I'd say that's exactly what they did)

Not to mention how few people of online on these forums now ;)

And the number of people upping there speed from minimum speeds to faster ones. :p

Or all the new customers that are suddenly signing up for broadband (why wern't they in the first place?)

Hihi

Well yeah, or that, rofl

Dunno why they'd need to sign up for broadband though, just go for minimum tv package and get real box for bedroom with basic channels and phone, then add dreambox and modems in living room or w/e

it's all a little aggravating, nobody has told me if it's possible to jtag my 250s back into life either, perhaps I should just bury them in the back garden with a suitable epitaph

would it be wise just to get another 250 and start fresh?

This time with different password

Not to mention how few people of online on these forums now ;)
And the number of people upping there speed from minimum speeds to faster ones. :p
Or all the new customers that are suddenly signing up for broadband (why wern't they in the first place?)

You think this would make peeps sign up for vm bb???far better isp's on the market than vm.

Hihi

Well, I still have one 250 and a few 200s, as long as the passwords are changed things should be okay, if they're still up you can still change the passwords and they'll be fine, lol

As for making people sign up to virgin, presumably just to get the copper into their house which is the important bit after all, lol

i cannot get into my 250 the AM CHO program cannot open the modem...just says TCP failure

Hmm

Are you using the latest version?

Is your modem working?

Have you actually flashed your modem with the infinite firmware?

yes i flashed my 250,its done same as most of the modems,cannot talk to it thru tcp or thru max232

No you can't. the JTAG lines are not brought out from the processor.

You should be able to lift TSOP and reflash in programmer tho.

Hihi

Yeah, that's what happened to mine, if you just power it with the ethernet connected does the ethernet light (very slowly) go on and off?

If so, you've fallen foul of the same thing

Hihi

Meh.

My SMD soldering isn't up to that, oh well

Looks like I'll have to buy more 250s, lol, hope people don't start selling bricked ones on ebay

it has done that yes its flashing slowly on and off

Last edited:
the ethernet light is constantly on now.....is there a way wipe the modem and start again?

Hihi
TSOPs are not that hard to do.
For you maybe!

I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, lol

SM resistors have been known to ping off into the distance when I've been trying to work on such things

Don't have any tools for SM work anyway, just an ordinary 30W iron and a solder sucker, heh, although given the situation perhaps it might be worth having a go

I suppose there's no way to program them in circuit -.-

Back