Ebayer seller - again!!

gooner71

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I recently won an item for one of my kids - a scooter they wanted - exactly the same as one of my others had at xmas. I had been watching it for a couple of days and the listing started on 99p - in the last few minutes it crept up with a few bids but I managed to secure it at a very reasonable £10 odd.

I purposely went for the one as it was collection only and within 10 miles of my place. The collection only auctions do tend to go a bit cheaper unless you live in a big city and to be honest I did get a bargain - probably about £5-10 cheaper than I thought I would need to bid to secure it!!

So I then message the seller - asking for their address and a convenient time to collect only to get a reply that they are not willing to let it go for the price I won it for. Some cock and bull story about them being new to ebay although they had 60 feedback score and not realising that they hadnt put a reserve price on? Also they said it was their childs toy from xmas and they were only selling to raise some holiday spending money?? Plus they said they had bought it from one of the big toy stores for £89.99 when I know full well they were £54.99 from them at xmas as I bloody bought one and had free delivery !!!

Basically they assumed it would make about £30 so didnt bother to add a reserve or start the listing at a higher price to save a bit on listing fees and then puled a fast one and refused to sell when it didnt go their way? I also looked back and they had another negative feedback on a sale where the item wasnt received by the buyer? Perhaps that didnt reach the desired price either?

Its not the end of the world but it does my head in - if people are too stupid to ensure they dont end up having to sell an item for less than they want then why should us regular people have to put up with them? Ebay dont seem to cover it on their automated reporting system - they want you to waste more time ringing them and with the best will in the world they cant physically force someone to sell an item if they dont want to!!!

As usual they dont care unless it affects them in the pocket and although technically the seller was avoiding listing fees - ebay will still get the lower listing fees and claim a final value fee on the price i bid anyway and then probably double up when they relist the item with a reserve!! You can see why it makes sense for ebay not to penalise the seller!!!

Sometimes you think is it really worth buying off Ebay at all?. It's just not worth the hassle if people cannot be bothered to do some pricing research before they sell things ,then don't bother selling it in the first place. Incidentally is it not law to sell something at the agreed price and not back down???.

It probably is the law but its difficult to pin the larger online retailers down to selling if they make a mistake with a price these days so pretty much impossible to force the issue with an individual seller on ebay!! As for Ebay - I used to get loads of bargains but over the years these are getting few and far between - a lot of the prices for second hand are not far off retail. It reminds me of a car boot sale - when they first started people were emptying their attics and happy to get rid of their "junk" for a few quid - now they are actively buying other peoples junk to sell on. On car boots you also have lots of stall holders buying wholesale or trade and selling on - well we got a place to buy stuff like that already on a sunday morning - its called a shop!!!

thats ebay for you mate..ive had that many times i win an item and the seller doesnt want to let it go cos it sold to cheap...good thing is that you can now leave negative feedback for the seller but they cant do that to you...

To be fair, i blame ebay with their stupid selling fees, and 10% final listing fee and then the paypal fee on top.

There is no regulation so they can do as they please.

you can request their contact details from ebay ;)

Reckon if you avoid 'buy it now' then distance selling rules don't apply. I becomes a personal auction and is not regulated (legal eagles please advise). Also, had one recently that I'm sure was a 'shaft' but there's no rule...

...mate bids high to put off other buyers then retracts the bid as an error just before the listing ends...

thats ebay for you mate..ive had that many times i win an item and the seller doesnt want to let it go cos it sold to cheap...good thing is that you can now leave negative feedback for the seller but they cant do that to you...

Yes I took that option and left some nice negative feedback - only trouble is they have decided to leave me positive feedback but with a stinking comment!!! Now I have had to report that to get it removed - more hassle - I am beginning to wonder if its really worth it anymore!!!

Thats a pain in the arse m8 and had it done many times myself on ebay and aswell it has gone really expensive so i don't use it unless i absolutly have to.
Why not request the sellers address from ebay and then send a nice letter stating they entered a legally binding contract and you will take em to court if they dont sell you the item they agreed to at the price the auction was won at. It might make them change there mind, (not worth taking them to court over something like that) but if you can make the letter/email convincing enough you will riotusly piss em off and then leave them negative feedback to add insult to injury..

Sorted.. you 1 ebay knobber 0

Back