ebay fee's

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is 10% of the selling price of an item you sell a little high. 5% possibly ok but 10 freaking percent!

F*ck me sideways with a fireplace poker..... I need to find other places to sell things...

You have to remember when it first kicked of it was meant to be for getting rid of junk You may have taken to the tip or gone in the bin, so 10% of stuff that would have been binned didn't sound so bad. These days people sell really expensive items, however I think you will find it is still comparable if not cheaper than normal auction houses, although I wouldn't sell on ebay with all the scamming these days.

THEN add to that the Paypal fees!!
I've been getting a lot of 'Pay no more than ยฃ1' offers lately so have managed to offload some stuff that's been cluttering up the shelves for a while - the kind of stuff that I no longer need but it's too good to chuck.
But I also agree with @sneaker , if it's things that would otherwise be binned then you're still better off. A local traditional auction house charges commission to the seller (20%+VAT) but also a "buyer's premium" of 25% (which is also subject to VAT) so Ebay perhaps isn't that bad after all.

Last edited:
A while ago I got a little pissed off with ebay, I've been selling on there since 2006. So I started to try other sites like Ebid, Ioffer etc..

I did a google search for UK auctions sites and I found a page with some stats (can't find it now though). Out of a list of 30 UK auction sites (never knew there was that many). Ebay was obviously top of the list, but was so far about the second, Ebid, it had over double the amount of sellers, auctions and sales.

I tried ebid and for some reason people didn't bother with the stuff I was selling and in 2 years never sold anything, where I was selling lots through ebay.

So in short ebay may be messed up with their fees, the constant complaining about pictures, the way they puch certain sellers to the top of searches, the way they need lots more information than they used to, but there's nothing around that can compare.

Incidentally Ioffer is great for dodgy TV show box sets/dvd rips etc and comics. :)

My only issue with ebay is the fact that you have to use paypal as well. Paypal are a law unto themselves, unregulated asshats! I dont mind paying the fees, but when they take money for no reason, freeze payments because of "High risk items" and then dont follow their own rules I get kind of annoyed at them. FCA needs to step in and regulate them imo. No wonder Musk is a billionaire!

Charges are just the tip of the iceberg...
As a seller on Ebay you have no protection what so ever...
Its scammers paradise for the buyer.

Ive had to close 3 accounts after selling phones on there.
The latest 1 was a few months ago, where i had proof the buyer had signed for the parcel, he then had it 3 weeks before opening a case saying the screen was cracked.
I refused the return and provided more photos of the condition before i posted it.

Ebay sided with the buyer and refunded them even though he clearly had the phone for 3 weeks.
Ebay also charged me for a returns label...

The phone was never returned to me.
There was no tracking number provided by the buyer for the return..
And then to top it off i had to fight debt collectors to say i had never received the phone back.
So the buyer got the phone and the money back...
Ebays protection is pathetic...i will never use the pile of shite again

The latest 1 was a few months ago, where i had proof the buyer had signed for the parcel, he then had it 3 weeks before opening a case saying the screen was cracked.
I refused the return and provided more photos of the condition before i posted it.

Ebay sided with the buyer and refunded them even though he clearly had the phone for 3 weeks.

And then to top it off i had to fight debt collectors to say i had never received the phone back.

Recorded delivery is worthless to eBay mate. Unless you send it via special or courier then they're not interested. And totally agree on it being a buyers paradise, lots of scammers out there. Had one who opened a case, sent me back an empty box and claimed he had returned the item. I argued the decision, and said he'd opened the item voiding the warranty. Luckily eBay took the hit on that one, but you've got to be very careful using it.

That's rough mate, I really feel for you. Ebay's decisions seem to fly in the face of common sense, I often think these 'decisions' are made by AI programs.
I once had a long-running battle with Paypal and it reached a point where no matter what I wrote in an email I always got the same response. I finally rang them and the problem was solved within minutes.

My only issue with ebay is the fact that you have to use paypal as well. Paypal are a law unto themselves, unregulated asshats! I dont mind paying the fees, but when they take money for no reason, freeze payments because of "High risk items" and then dont follow their own rules I get kind of annoyed at them. FCA needs to step in and regulate them imo. No wonder Musk is a billionaire!

Not sure what Musk has to do with it, Paypal is owned by Ebay.

Was. I'm sure they divorced a few years ago.
The five reasons behind PayPal's split from eBay
Paypal and ebay are still linked until 2020

On Jan 31, 2018 eBay announced that, "After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it wonโ€™t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

Musk co founded PayPal. Thatโ€™s how he made his billions.
Nope.

The original company was founded in 1998 by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, Luke Nosek, and Ken Howery and was called Confinity.

Elon Musk founded an online banking company called X.Com which merged with Confinity in 2000 and became Paypal in 2001.

Ebay bought them in 2002.

Elon Musk was already a millionaire well before merging with Paypal. He sold his software company, Zip2, to Compaq in 1999 for $340 million, Musk got $22 million cash out of the deal.

With the sale of Paypal to Ebay for $1.5 billion Musk received $165 million for his 11.7% share in Paypal.

So I'm pretty sure Paypal did not make Musk "billions".

Ether way if you use Ebay, Paypal is likely going to stay the only option for taking payments. I can't see Ebay going back the the way they were when I joined them and taking lots of different payment options, PPPay, Nochex, Worldpay etc...

There was talk earlier this year of eBay offering other payment platforms, one notable one being the Dutch start-up Adyen. Which would be a good thing, as being NL-based they will (hopefully) be subject to stricter EU regulation.

There was talk earlier this year of eBay offering other payment platforms, one notable one being the Dutch start-up Adyen. Which would be a good thing, as being NL-based they will (hopefully) be subject to stricter EU regulation.

Hopefully they will find another card processor after they fully split with paypal in 2020, at least then they can still take credit/debit cards at least.

I offer 6 different payment options on my site but customers choose paypal 99% of the time even over card or bank transfer. Amazon payments gets the rest. Klarna, Worldpay, Sagepay don't get a look in.

Just send all your money to me..
I'll sort it all out....honest ๐Ÿ˜

Nope.

The original company was founded in 1998 by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, Luke Nosek, and Ken Howery and was called Confinity.

Elon Musk founded an online banking company called X.Com which merged with Confinity in 2000 and became Paypal in 2001.

Ebay bought them in 2002.

Elon Musk was already a millionaire well before merging with Paypal. He sold his software company, Zip2, to Compaq in 1999 for $340 million, Musk got $22 million cash out of the deal.

With the sale of Paypal to Ebay for $1.5 billion Musk received $165 million for his 11.7% share in Paypal.

So I'm pretty sure Paypal did not make Musk "billions".

Ether way if you use Ebay, Paypal is likely going to stay the only option for taking payments. I can't see Ebay going back the the way they were when I joined them and taking lots of different payment options, PPPay, Nochex, Worldpay etc...

Everyday's a school day :)

Just send all your money to me..
I'll sort it all out....honest ๐Ÿ˜
Nah, you gotta trust a newbie like me to REALLY handle your finances :).

Living in the US I've been using Craigslist and lately OfferUp in order to do local deals and keep the seller fees. However the money saved manifests itself in other ways in the various platforms such as cheapskates that offer ridiculously low prices and no-show buyers. Like @Captin says, if there's a decent alternative I'll happily migrate but so far I haven't found anything worthwhile.

Back