Ebay Advice #1032626162

Falkirk_Bairn

Inactive User
Reaction score
Another Ebay thread!

Right, i bought a new watch about 2 weeks ago for £150 from a shop on Ebay. It was delivered quickly and when i got it i took the protector things off the face and strap to have a good look at it, but the thing looked massive on my wrists and i wasn't too keen on it.

The seller had a similar one but smaller in his shop so i asked for an exchange and sent it back. I didn't hear from him for a week and just now i got an email saying:

Hi,
I have received the watch and had my supplier to check it and it was found that the watch has been worn and the strap is broken. Hence i cannot exchange you the watch. I will send the watch back to you.
Thank you

The thing is I never wore it and the strap was not broken as far as i know when i got it.

Where do i stand on this? I dont fancy loosing £150 quid for a watch thats now broken and i dont like!

HELP!

I had an issie very simlar to this with a watch also and I ended up losing out :( good luck to you though mate

Ive been looking into this online and been reading about chargebacks.

If i phoned my bank what will they ask with regards to the transaction before they do this? I'm with bank of scotland and it says online they do chargebacks through paypal.

Is it as simple as phoning them and they just take my money back and give me it or should i just do a paypal despute?

Ive used ebay for years and never had a single problem aswell!

I've no idea FB, but I'm giving you a gentle bump anyway... ;)

I'd start a PP dispute myself, but that's just me. Hope somebody has better advice for you though...

Another Ebay thread!

Right, i bought a new watch about 2 weeks ago for £150 from a shop on Ebay. It was delivered quickly and when i got it i took the protector things off the face and strap to have a good look at it, but the thing looked massive on my wrists and i wasn't too keen on it.

The seller had a similar one but smaller in his shop so i asked for an exchange and sent it back. I didn't hear from him for a week and just now i got an email saying:

Hi,
I have received the watch and had my supplier to check it and it was found that the watch has been worn and the strap is broken. Hence i cannot exchange you the watch. I will send the watch back to you.
Thank you

The thing is I never wore it and the strap was not broken as far as i know when i got it.

Where do i stand on this? I dont fancy loosing £150 quid for a watch thats now broken and i dont like!

HELP!

Hmm a weird one this but I imagine the sticking point is that you wanted an exchange purely for cosmetic reasons, I don't think he is legally obliged to comply with your request.

The trouble is he has that in writing now as well so you are not going to get away with saying it was broken when you got it etc.

I suppose in theory it would be possible for you to refuse delivery of the item when he sends it back to you and then instigate a chargeback, but this relies on you having proof of receipt by him when you sent it back.

:)

Open a PayPal dispute.

In terms of sending it back, is the seller UK-based? If so, they're subject to the Distance Selling Regulations. They give you 7 days from receipt of goods to change your mind, doesn't matter why. You're entitled to return the goods and get a complete refund, including the original postage. You may have to pay return postage, if the seller specifies this in their terms & conditions.

eBay UK: Safety Centre: Know Your Rights

As far as the damage goes, that's your word against his. My experience of PayPal is that they'll side with the buyer if the seller can't provide proof.

There's a bit more here, with info on damaged items:

eBay UK - Business Centre - Law & Policies that affect you - Returns

Cheers for the help, i sent him a message with quotes from the Sale of goods act and Distance selling regulations and they are sending the smaller replacement :)

Back