easy way to find who's causing the lag

powerband

Inactive User
Reaction score
I reckon if we're playing and it goes the way of the pear(as in lag),hold fire,and go out and back in 1 by 1 in alphebetical order until we find who it is. Then they can try and find out why they r doing it.Simple

not sure that would work as you may have say 6 players on and it's just the 7th player that joins is the one that put the server at its limits if one leaves it may stop the lagg but it may not be that person that caused the lagg but just took the weight off the server as its just a fact that a server can only cope with a certain amount of player's we get it all the time on moh it seems that a 512k connection will only allow around a max of 6 or maybe 7 players this is just my observation of the situation over the time we have been playing moh i may be wrong but on everyones ip who host's the game on here which has a 512k connection 6 maybe 7 players and the lagg will make the game unplayable ?

U could be right Damage but this could still prove that theory aswell maybe.If we try it and the 1st one out does change it just carry on to at least the third or fourth by that time we should know either way.We need to experiment so we can either find out if it is anyone person or if it is going over the limit,then we know what limit to set on the game to keep it sweet.Once we find the limit everyone with 512/600 will know what to set it at

So, whats being implied is anyone that has a 56k connection. cannot play???

What you will find its probably not a speed issue to whether you connect witha DSL connection or dialup connection. Its a bandwidth issue.

You will find std ISP will only allocate a certain amount bandwith to each user. and you are probably right in saying that 7 people on a private server will soon eat up the bandwidth.

So in my opinion being on dialup or DSL makes no difference, but DSL eats a bigger chunk of bandwitdh. its all down to your "contention ratio" if someone on the same pipe as you starts to download a big file it will also cause lag

Nothing is being implied,but people do go on with things running in the backround sometimes without knowing it.........Ive done and I know others have.No way would I hold anything against 56k modems or blame them.Just trying to find the limits and if someone is running something in the backround that affects the game.

yes nothing to do with ur connection more to with what ur running in the background
we all forget sometimes to turn things off. So if u enter a game and it go's to pot
quit and check then go back on, saying that we had an execellent game on waveys
(cheers m8) saturday night 7 on at 1 time and no problem great game but it was late. So not so many people online at that time 11.12 pm maybe later lol, think the problem lies with the service providers which promise which promise heaven and give u hell.

what we need is our own game server set up for gaming
i know this was discussed during the contribution discussion
and rejected rightly as the money was to be used for the
benefit of all members, and not just all us half crazed nutters
who love shooting things.

So the question is how much will it cost to set up and maintain
if the gaming members want a decent server weve got to pay
get nothin for free, as i believe this is no fad and were all hooked
can someone price it up if its worth it do it u pay u play

well my answer to this should. we include a game server or what ever it takes. to get this running from or contributions. im preapaird to donate a little more if and onl if it gets these games running as they should do

i think haveing 56k does have a effect on the server as if you notice the ping rates when the game a running normally the adsl will have a ping of 50 to 80 and 56k will have around 190 to 220 which is why you will get kicked off quite a few servers if you try to connect or you will not even get on

When ever I have run a game I have the ping rate set at 999 so peeps with 56k can get on.Once it goes above 999 I have found the game will not run so it is pointless letting people on with a rate above that.

i think it only goes as high as 999 but if a person is getting a ping of 999 that person would not be able to move anyway and the person with the ping of 999 will also push up all the other pings as well i am quite into this ping thing lol as when we get the lagg i just use the tab button and watch the ping rates as there is not much more one can do but i know as a 56k user that it will put more demands on the sever than adsl but i also think there are people running things in the background as i have been on ip's where there has been 7 adsl and 2 56k and it has run ok but also been on with 1 56k and 4 to 5 adsl and had to come off as the lagg was just to bad so that is just as much as a factor but i even shut down any explorer pages before i join the game and if everyone done the same that would help also

here is some info lol from a online gameing site i understand some of it but not all of it

Dial-ups are definitely laggy. They introduce a 150-250ms lag (on a good line, good day, close to switch) because of the conversion, delay over the phone line, etc. On a bad day, when there's some line noise, error correction and retries can cause that to skyrocket on some packets. Remember, lagtimes are averaged and measured very infrequently relative to the number of packets set. When you're seeing 500, 1000, 1500+ ms lag times what you're often seeing is that the lag on << 1% of packets AVERAGES that. Imagine the distribution of times on the remaining 99%.

Sometimes setting a ceiling on modem connect speed can improve the consistency of that... i.e., if your 56k modem connects occassionally at 41+, but usually at 33.6 or 31.2, limit its connect speed to 33.6, 31.2, or a hair lower. Sometimes you'll see a substancially improved connection and transfer rates because the modem just barely managed to connect at the speed it did or it connected and line noise has since increased.

See a modem user black hat intermittently, frequently, and for random periods... it's usually line noise causing renegotiates and/or error correction.

Also, because of their poor speed, dial-ups have trouble handling the volume of data from a busy server. Start losing more and more udp packets, which are frequently lost, and people get really jumpy. UDP packets can arrive out of order too. Seen players driving forward but intermittently jumping back? Sometimes that's a correction to the dead-reckoning done on the client end, other times it's a udp packet that got delayed arriving late with out of date motion info. During spurts of data (quiet room and everyone starts shooting or using machine guns) you can overwhelm the modem and exacerbate this.

If I'm not mistaken, shrinking the packet size can often improve this for gaming, but it does so at the expense of download speed for files and larger chunks of information.

Modems aren't the only cause of lag tho, as all the net-savies can tell you. If a server seems laggy or players jumpy, then do a few tracerts to it after you've died. Often you'll find there's a slow hop, or one that's intermittently timing out. You can actually have great lag times showing but horrible game play if the 1% of packets measured for lag don't get caught by time outs but a few percent in between are delayed or lost.

And a not for all you cable modem users on 128k, 256k, 512kbps connections etc -cable modems achieve rate limiting by throttling. If the data being sent/received isn't near your cap then you've often got low lag and great transfers. Once it exceeds the rate you're allowed the cable modem throttles on and off. It sends full speed for a spurt, stops for bit, and repeats. You've probably noticed this when downloading a large file.

Well, if another player is downloading or uploading something while playing, their tank might seem to pause briefly then zoom thru the world as the stream of packets from their modem is unleashed full speed after a pause.

Ok I'll try and explain what happend at my end last night when I was hosting.
Im running the server on a Athlon based pc with about 300meg of ram, my net connection usually has excellent bandwith & judging from the amount of sly dishes on the walls 90% of my neigbours not many people in my street use t3lelwest cable, if Im uploading/downloading my connection speed averages 750k.
BUT last night I noticed as soon as more than 7 or 8 players ( There was 10 at one point !!lol ) the data light on the modem went out, which probably meant that my pc was so tied up trying to sort out that many players that it wasnt reading from the net. Hence the lagg !!!
Having a 56k connection does cause hickups from time to time but usually it will on look like a player disapears & reappears 10 feet away !! not much more than that !!!
The pc that I run the server on is my main pc, so what Im going to do is do abit of shopping (on ebay ) & build another server just for games !! I'll just have to have a min of 512mb of ram, I'll also talk to mrs wavey & see if I cant up my net connection to 1mb.
This SHOULD alow about 10-15 players on COD & MOH !! I think that we should have alternate nights for these games to satisfy everyones tastes !!

Just a thought !! what do you think ??

WaVeY

Sounds gr8 wavey...but(aint there always a but)if someone comes out to play and ,knowingly or unknowingly,has something running in the backround such as the hub,winmx etc will we not still get the same problem.This is the problem I'm trying to get to the bottom of.When we ran it on mine it was gr8 for about 10 minutes then it went tits up for about 5 minutes,this cycle continued till we had to stop playing.It turned out 1 of the players had something running in the backround on start up that was running some kind of check online every 10 minutes.It took days to find this out as the person in question didn't even realise it was happening.

:Clap: i think that the all the trouble you are giving yourself and expense deserves a reward m8...you really have flung yourself right into it m8 i applaud you m8 for all your effort on behalf of all the online members.this is what this forum is all about the help you get on here is unbeilvable at times.good on you m8 wish i was in a better position to help more i have been searching the net all night to get info on cost and running a server got a lot of info to muck through how to do it will let you know the findings..so too wavey... :mexican: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

wavey thats fantastic what you are doing for the members :)

you are a real star m8 !

wavey that sounds great m8 well done to you and if i can be of any help just shout

Back