Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Easy Hack 4.2e not so easy

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Downloaded the files and followed the instructitons

but even from step 2 I get the following
[+] Mounting device, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -1)

HBC has installed but when I get to step 5 get same error

Given up for today but will like some help 2mw if anyone knows whats going on... BTW its a original Wii from when they first came out.

Given up for today but will like some help 2mw if anyone knows whats going on... BTW its a original Wii from when they first came out.
is your wii on firmware 4.2????

I got that error a few times too. IIRC I just kept trying from the start each time, and eventually it worked. You could try a different card too, also make sure Wii24 is off, but network is config'd.

I got that error a few times too. IIRC I just kept trying from the start each time, and eventually it worked. You could try a different card too, also make sure Wii24 is off, but network is config'd.

Ahh I think wii24 might still be on and also its a brand new kingston 8gb card so doubt thats the problem.

How do you start fresh just put the files on from SD Card.rar on card again... Then goto Step 3:
In the HackMii installer go ahead and install Bootmii (To both IOS and Boot2 if possible)
Then install HBC, followed by DVDx and then exit the HackMii installer.
(NOTE: Some people are having issues seeing this part, this is your TV and it needs to support NTSC/60hz, try some different cables (HD) or another TV)

Uninstall and then reinstall?

Ahh I think wii24 might still be on and also its a brand new kingston 8gb card so doubt thats the problem.

How do you start fresh just put the files on from SD Card.rar on card again... Then goto Step 3:

Uninstall and then reinstall?

It might be the card, i have had problems with kingston 4gb cards so now i only use sandisk's 2gb or under and they always work, do you have a 1gb card you can try?

It might be the card, i have had problems with kingston 4gb cards so now i only use sandisk's 2gb or under and they always work, do you have a 1gb card you can try?

It was the card, it wont work with 8gb card so tried 64mb card which i had spare and now all complete!

Softmod successful... However I did find the guide to be slightly different from when actually doing... not sure if thats because the files have been slightly updated.

For example in Step 7
Restart the Wii and open HBC again.
This time you just want to open Wad Manager from the HBC screen (Not by pressing HOME and Bootmii)
Once open choose IOS249 when it asks what IOS to use (It will probably already be selected)
Next choose SD Card and then install "Neo.wad", then exit.
You should now be done and have NEO gamma on your main channels page.

I doesnt tell you not to change the emulation type... hense why I and others might be getting error ERROR! (ret = -1)

Also Step 8
Open HBC again, this time choose DOP-IOS and press A.
In DOP-IOS, choose to download IOS60 (IOS70 if you have 4.2) and trucha patch it.

Installed IOS70 but couldnt see anything how to "trucha patch it"

Still not 100% sure if it all went correctly but it seems easy enough to delete everything and start again... but saying that I have just tried the new Super Mario disc which was getting disc error first and that loaded for the first time!

Also whats the HBC and Neo.. Channels for?

It was the card, it wont work with 8gb card so tried 64mb card which i had spare and now all complete!

Softmod successful... However I did find the guide to be slightly different from when actually doing... not sure if thats because the files have been slightly updated.

For example in Step 7

I doesnt tell you not to change the emulation type... hense why I and others might be getting error ERROR! (ret = -1)

Also Step 8

Installed IOS70 but couldnt see anything how to "trucha patch it"

Still not 100% sure if it all went correctly but it seems easy enough to delete everything and start again... but saying that I have just tried the new Super Mario disc which was getting disc error first and that loaded for the first time!

Also whats the HBC and Neo.. Channels for?

READ UP BEFORE YOU DELETE ANYTHING ON YOUR WII!!!

It can be fatal to your wii if you uninstall the wrong things. Neo Gamma loads games from disk and hbc is to run homebrew appications.

I wouldnt be deleting anything but I have goot boot2 installed if it goes wrong, but im assuming to remove softmod, you just uninstall what you have installed in reverse order?

I just seen what I wrote and should have put uninstall instead of delete

So it was easy !!!!!!
you just didn't have a good sd card then you blamed the instructions which i didn't write I just posted the files from else where and by the way nearly 800 people have done this mod just from the files i uploaded and there are other links to the same files on the net
and only 3 people had problems

edogg

i got a bit confused with the guide when it came to installing neo gamma aswell but all in all it is a pretty easy guide and works beautifully :)

The 4.2e hack guide is easy as long as you follow all the instructions carefully. I had problems and these guys were brilliant in helping me even though the problems were my own fault.
My problem with [+] Mounting device, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -1) was a simple one.

Step 5:

You will be prompted to select which IOS to use, just leave this and press A.
You will now be able to select SD Card, so do that.
Now you'll see 4 .wad files, select each one (one at a time) and choose "Uninstall"
After all 4 have Uninstalled you can exit Wad Manager by restarting the Wii.

The default is uninstall so I just pressed A to continue, but on the next screen I should have made sure to select UNINSTALL aswell.
When I did this I was able to continue with the guide and hack my Wii.

Now I know what I am doing I'm sure I could easily hack one now in 10 minutes.

Thanks again guys

So it was easy !!!!!!
you just didn't have a good sd card then you blamed the instructions which i didn't write I just posted the files from else where and by the way nearly 800 people have done this mod just from the files i uploaded and there are other links to the same files on the net
and only 3 people had problems

edogg

It is easy now that I have filled in the gaps missing from the instructions and tried a different SD Card. For the record my Kingston 8GB SD Card is very good I will have you know but for some reason the either the hack or the wii did not support it.

Also I never said you had wrote the instructions. IMHO I found the instructions to be slightly rushed and skipped information which would prevented any errors in the first place.

So I am going to re-write the tutorial myself and include screenshots to avoid any confusion.

Either way i followed both the Wii soft modding guide for 4.2e system firmware & this one, this one worked first time however the other failed at step 61 of 67 even though i had followed the guide to the letter & double checked everything before doing it, evey time i loaded the wad manager it froze.

I do agree though that this guide although usable could do with a re-write with a bit more detail for the newbies like myself.

If you do re-write it bally let me know i'll use it too.

Either way i followed both the Wii soft modding guide for 4.2e system firmware & this one, this one worked first time however the other failed at step 61 of 67 even though i had followed the guide to the letter & double checked everything before doing it, evey time i loaded the wad manager it froze.

I do agree though that this guide although usable could do with a re-write with a bit more detail for the newbies like myself.

If you do re-write it bally let me know i'll use it too.

It is definatly a easy and probably the best mod but like you said it needs to be re-written.

Hopefully will get a chance to do it tonight and upload it with pictures to show exactly what each screen should look like.

I will write on the basis you are softmodding a untouched "Virgin Wii"

Maybe also make it a pdf file for inclusion with the files too & have the instructions as txt & pdf as the pdf file would obviously have the pictures.

If you don't know how to create a pdf i'd be happy to do it.

I take it you have not seen my other tutorials :p dont worry I will create pdf and include all files links and also thank the original posters etc

:Laugh: I realised after i'd posted, you'll have to excuse me i usually live in the dbox section.

:SHOOTING:dbox whats one of those lol

Havent had a chance to do the tut today didnt get back from work until 8! Will get something for the weekend...

Quick question, New super marios brothers is the only game I have tried since doing the softmod but it doesnt load from the normal wii channel I can only load if from NG is this going to be the case with all games and is this how it is meant to be?

Back