Earthquake Rattles Homes In North Of England

robc11

DW Regular
Reaction score
An earthquake measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale has hit the North East of England.

The British Geological Survey confirmed that an earthquake had occurred.

The organisation's seismology project leader, Dr Brian Baptie, told Sky News: "We believe the earthquake was centred in North Yorkshire, just west of Ripon, round about the Yorkshire Dales region."

He said the tremor measured 3.6.

Earlier the US Geological Survey told Sky News it was aware of an incident which it initially said measured 3.7 and which was 10km deep and happened at 9.03pm.

It said the earthquake may have been centred under the North Sea.

The tremor is the second to hit England in the space of a few weeks.

Last month the British Geological Survey confirmed that an earthquake of local magnitude 3.5 on the Richter scale took place shortly before 11pm on December 21 in Coniston in the Lake District.

Earthquake Of 3.6 In North Of England, Centred West Of Ripon In North Yorkshire | UK News | Sky News

I never felt a thing here in teesside but a friend round the corner did aswell as a few people on facebook, i know theres a few people on here from yorkshire, did any of you feel it.

not sure exactly where it was but it cant have reached leeds. i did feel the one a few years ago tho, shite myself not because i thought it was a quake but because it was late i was up on my own and i swear the sofa started to rattle like the bed out of the exorcist.

thought id been paid a visit until the next day and i saw the news lol.

Back