OS DWM.exe

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi Hope some brilliant mate can help please.

Suddenly I keep getting interrupted by a screen saying that DWM.exe has stopped working

The file can be found in appdata\local\temp\msupdate71

It is also causing my RAM to run at 98%

Can anyone tell me what it is please and how can I prevent this screen from appearing at the most inopportune time.

regards as always chaps

Last edited:
Its also a name of virus and is located in appdata\local\temp\msupdate71 as pointed out in his post.
Dwm.exe in AppData\local\temp\msupdate71 consumes 100% of CPU - TechSpot Forums

Hi thanks for reply. Yes it uses up memory at an alarming rate. I ran Kapanski virus checker which appeared to find it an deleted the file. The RAM immediately went down 18% and I thought everything was great. This morning all was well and then up popped DWM.exe has stopped working and my RAM is back up to 92%

How do you get you get rid of this thing I have downloaded nothing from the Internet and yet here it is.

regards

Hi thanks for reply. Yes it uses up memory at an alarming rate. I ran Kapanski virus checker which appeared to find it an deleted the file. The RAM immediately went down 18% and I thought everything was great. This morning all was well and then up popped DWM.exe has stopped working and my RAM is back up to 92%

How do you get you get rid of this thing I have downloaded nothing from the Internet and yet here it is.

regards

hello mate

try this and follow it through to the end and then reboot.......

HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan

has been good for me in the past....

hope that helps.

Good morning Melttc

Thanks for that suggestion I did visit the site and ran the programme. Just noticed that DWM.exe has not appeared on my screen yet, went to folder and it is not in the folder now. Yipeeeeeeeee!

Hopefully it will not reinstall itself and slip quietly away into the malware version of hell never to be seen again.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated

I also would like to thank the other contributors for taking time out to offer advice.

regards

I used to use and advise HouseCall a lot, haven't had call used it in a while but might run it just to see what it finds, if anything

:)

as above used to be a good option used few years ago

Thanks for comments m8s' House Call appears to have got rid of the DWM but I notice that my RAM is still up there around 75% cannot see what may be causing this but of course it slows everything down.

I know I am old but I am not this slow.

regards

Back