Dual Offset: How Much Should I Offer For This Dish?

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
My interest in satellite tv mainly revolves around fringe reception and feed hunting.

My Triax TD110 dish is pretty good but when I read about dual offset dishes and how they greatly out-perform standard offset one, I become quite envious of their owners.

On the wall of a house in my neighbourhood, there are two satellite dishes, one being a mini dish and the other a larger Philips one which I take to be a dual offset one. Today I spoke to the wife and son of the house owner and they told me that the Philips dish hadn't been used for some time. Consequently, they thought that the owner would more than likely be willing to sell it and gave me their phone number for me to ring this evening.

If it does turn out to be for sale then I'd like to be able to make a sensible offer. I'd like to know what people on here think it's worth and I have other questions such as what type of lnb I'd need but the big question is,'would this dish be likely to out-perform my existing one?' As for the size of it, it appears to be either 90 or 80cm.

Attachments

• 20140204_101942.jpg
    20140204_101942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Re: How Much Should I Offer For This Dish?

its a fibostop gregorian dish and nothing comes close for performance... if its a 90cm it should still outperform a triax td110 slightly and is quality. these dish,s are rare nowadays and perform at around 80% efficiency wheras a standard off-set runs at about 70%. swe-dish still make them and are used on outside broadcast uplink trucks so this should tell you all you need. regards mdt

it looks like the 90cm phillips fibo gregorian dish,
suppose to be a very good dish...

If he know's what it is expect to pay £200, there are collector groups out there for these dishes. They have a integral motor.

If he does not know what he has offer him £50

Ive the 1.2m version of this ive had it since time began nothing its size gets close, precision dishes and its a shame no one knows where the original tooling is to start knocking them out again.

As Already Stated its a Fibo alright deffo looks like a 90cm going of the Zone1 underneath they are not as popular as the 1.2m version as they still command a good price if the buyer wants one at the time. on the Bay i have seen 1.2's go from anything say £50 to around £130.

Now the Downside or maybe not in some cases you have to use a C120 LNB or have one converted to C120 parts for the dish are extremely hard to come by and the motor on these is not the best in the world but if your a keen DIY'er you could fabricate something to work with either a standard Diseqc motor or easier still a 36v Superjack.

If you can get it cheap enough its definitely worth a punt.

As Already Stated its a Fibo alright deffo looks like a 90cm going of the Zone1 underneath they are not as popular as the 1.2m version as they still command a good price if the buyer wants one at the time. on the Bay i have seen 1.2's go from anything say £50 to around £130.

Now the Downside or maybe not in some cases you have to use a C120 LNB or have one converted to C120 parts for the dish are extremely hard to come by and the motor on these is not the best in the world but if your a keen DIY'er you could fabricate something to work with either a standard Diseqc motor or easier still a 36v Superjack.

If you can get it cheap enough its definitely worth a punt.

It's beginning to look like quite a lot of hassle for maybe just a small increase in signal quality. I'd be far more interested though if it was the 1.2m version.

I think I'll give the guy a call this evening nevertheless and firstly find out if it is for sale and how much he wants for it. If he'd expect me to go up a ladder and fetch it down, I think I'll tell him to leave it where it is. Shame though.

I'm not too hot when it comes to DIY and I could end up with something of a lame duck. I could always sell it on though I suppose.

Well I'm now the proud owner of a Fibo Gregorian dish. Yippee!

He's asking for just £30 plus whatever his handyman would want to take it down. He said he'd throw everything in, inc motor, receiver and cabling etc. I don't know how much use all this would be especially as the box would be analogue.

take it down yourself and give him the £30

Back