Dual Cpu Server?

go fo it if you fancy a bunch of virii and the possibility of the police knocking on your door...
elite, if you get the chance have a go with linuxmce - it really is fantastic

yeh, thats what i was thinking :)

all the gear should be coming next week, will let you know when it up and running really busy at work so maybe a couple of weeks.

thanks.

i got so jealous i went on ebay to buy a cheap server, no server case or anything but will do me rightly :D

I wanted a server but I think it will push my leccy bill too high, keeping it running 27/7.

I was going to get a server but then thought it would push my electric bill too high; running it 24/7.

shouldnt really by that much, google: psucalc and find out what wattage you need for your PSU, round it off to nearest 50watts and add 50watts, buy a psu at that wattage if possible and you should be fine, should keep ur electric bill to the min.

i have had lots of servers,
i still have a few mobo's from them.

the only drawback to them is server boards never have agp slots, just crappy 2d onboard video.
usually a cirrus logic chipset with 2meg of vram :(

that's fine for a "under-stairs" type aplication, but if you want to also use it directly it's a real pisser.

hi guys, just quick update. works soo hectic right now and will be for a good few months which means this servers going to collect dust!
everyones thats seen it wants it! im thinkign about selling it.
ill post pics later when i get a chance. its a supermicro server!

supermicro case + scsi hotswap cage built in
supermicro x6dae-g2 motherboard with pci-x slots
3 x hotswap redundant power supplys
2 gigs GEIL RAM
256MB graphics cards
ADAPTEC2100 RAID 5 controller with 4 x 37GIG scsi drives
+ 3 x ULTRASTAR 73GIG!
2 x Intel XEONS 2.8 or 3.0GB with 2 or 4MB cache on bard each!

whats it worth?

thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
its worth big money mate. you are looking at the 1000quid mark new. if i had the money i would buy it. at the moment looking for a less sophisticated one anyway. lol

Back