Dropped PS2 - discs not loading?

gooner71

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Picked up a cheapie PS2 just as a stocking filler for my lad for xmas - stops the 360 or the Wii from going into the bedroom!!

All working fine but this morning he has knocked it off the cupboard and now it wont load games - it goes through the routine as normal but as the disc is spinning up it has a small clicking noise and then errors??

Ive stripped it down but I cant see anything obviously broken so im at a bit of a loss? Im guessing its probably damaged the laser in some way but I dont fancy paying £40 for a replacement (the console didnt cost that much).

Has anyone got any suggestions for me to try!!??

thanks!!

The clicking might be the white bit of plastic that connects to the worm gear that moves the laser.

In cases where they are worn they might click when the gear is turning but the laser assembly is stationary.

Take the disk drive cover off and try moving the laser assembly slowly by hand, I can't remember what most of it looks like now though. With the shock maybe it is jammed.

Thanks - that was the nidge in the right direction I needed !!! The white clip bit that attaches from the laser to the worm thing must have been dislodged - I just took it all apart and back together and it all seems ok now!!!

Except...... it will only play cd games - dvd games it gives disc error???

Last edited:
When dropped the dvd is normally the first laser diode to blow.
Have a look on evil bay, but remember 400B/C/HD7 are no longer made so youll get rebuilds.

Thanks - that was the nidge in the right direction I needed !!! The white clip bit that attaches from the laser to the worm thing must have been dislodged - I just took it all apart and back together and it all seems ok now!!!

Except...... it will only play cd games - dvd games it gives disc error???

The next best thing is that you can cover the PS2 with continuos play from www.continousplay.com and for £2.49 a month they will pick up your PS2 and drop off a refurb one right at your door but dont tell them you opened it just say it was dropped.

Managed to get a cheapie on Ebay - hopefully should be here any day now - thanks for the tips though!!

Back