Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Driving with snow on the roof of your car. Fix Penalty + 3 points

first car i've noticed it on? yeah i have to clear it off, can be quite difficult to get all the ice out :(

It's not about thinking about yourself. Think about others for a min.

Say your driving down the motorway with loads of snow on your roof and it flies off and lands on the car behind you, and in that car is a driver that isn't very sure of him/herself and serves at 50 mph right into the other lane and causes a pileup killing the driver and the 2 kids in the back, would you then wish you had taken 2 min's out of your precious day to clean off your roof.

Hold up i think you missed something
Car arm out all gone. Or even use it for a snowball fight buy easy to get at so no reason why you shouldnt, if only for your own safety(you brake snow on windshield blinded). Im on about big stuff which have an accident always cause major probs and as such should be done. Dont mind doing it but would the boss let you?

Reality is I suspect the police won't be enforcing this at the moment but if there was an accident then you could be on thin ice (pardon the pun, lol).

thats whats caused this rule to come to light again

there was a smash up her because the snow from the roof feel onto the windscreen and then a pile up ensued

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

thats whats caused this rule to come to light again

there was a smash up her because the snow from the roof feel onto the windscreen and then a pile up ensued

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

OK, dosen't surprise me.

A couple years back I was driving on the m11 and a slab of snow and ice flew off a van in front of me, right onto my windscreen. We were not going fast, maybe around 30 and it wasn't like I was tailgating him. Left me completed blinded. Luckly we were in lane 1 and I managed to get onto the hard shoulder (which was iced up) and clean the screen but I can imagine it could have turned out worse.

I know its difficult for tall vans and trucks and I don't think there is an easy answer for it either.

Hold up i think you missed something
Car arm out all gone. Or even use it for a snowball fight buy easy to get at so no reason why you shouldnt, if only for your own safety(you brake snow on windshield blinded). Im on about big stuff which have an accident always cause major probs and as such should be done. Dont mind doing it but would the boss let you?

Granted it isn't easy for big stuff to clean the roof, but that doesn't stop it coming off and causing problems. After all it's the driver that gets prosecuted so if you think it isn't safe to drive then don't. Your boss will soon find away to get the roof clean.

Been reported today in some emails that police have been handing out fixed penalty fines of £60 and 3 Points for this breech of the law.
Was taught 33 years ago that by law all windows roof bonnet and lights and number plates must be free from snow whilst driving, the exception to this is the front number plate if driving during heavy snow fall and this accumulates during this time.

Driving With Snow on Car Roof Fixed Penalties Hoax

Outline
Message warns drivers in the UK that police will be stopping drivers with snow on the roof of their cars and issuing them with a fixed penalty consisting of a £60 fine and the loss of three points.

Brief Analysis
The message is a hoax. While drivers may be penalised if snow on the roof of their vehicles obscures their vision or is a potential danger to other motorists, the specific police campaign and fixed penalties suggested in the message are not about to take place and have been denied by police.

Driving With Snow on Car Roof Fixed Penalties Hoax

Outline
Message warns drivers in the UK that police will be stopping drivers with snow on the roof of their cars and issuing them with a fixed penalty consisting of a £60 fine and the loss of three points.

Brief Analysis
The message is a hoax. While drivers may be penalised if snow on the roof of their vehicles obscures their vision or is a potential danger to other motorists, the specific police campaign and fixed penalties suggested in the message are not about to take place and have been denied by police.

this is correct. it was on the news the other day. amazing how much panick a spam txt message can cause

this is correct. it was on the news the other day. amazing how much panick a spam txt message can cause

It doesn't matter if the e-mail was spam or not it is FACT that you can be fined and get points for having snow on the roof.
Also; no doubt your windscreen washer bottle has frozen like most of us thus rendering the screen wash useless, well that is also an offence.

Back