Dreambox 500 HD

atommo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope this post doesnt offend anyone and dont break any rules. More than a bit new to the satellite scene but seeing as whats going on in the cable world, (and the fact Ive bought a nice new telly) thought I'd do some investigation.

Am thinking of setting up a little group, (close friends and family), who can all contribute to a fully paid for card and subscription, (from the UK provider whom I aint going to mention), and share it. I have dome some reading and I think Ive got my head around the principles, but, before I invest, (probably after xmas now), I would like to ask a couple of very simple top level questions if possible?

1. Is a 'proper' i.e. not a clone Dreambox 500HD ok to use as a server?

2. If/when I get the official stuff installed, is the card 'married' or 'paired' to the box, if so how can it be used in the DM500HD?

3. Ive already set up a dyndns account but do any of the images for the 500HD have the INADYN client built in?

4. What image is the easiest to use, bearing in mind I dont intend on re-sharing, (just want to set up a 'closed group')?

Again, sorry for the simplicity of the questions and many thanks for any answers/help, (I'm sure I'll have more as I get further into this but just want to get these cleared up in my own mind before I go on).

If I have broken any rules concerning this subject admin please delete this.

Cheers

1. Is a 'proper' i.e. not a clone Dreambox 500HD ok to use as a server?

Clone work just as well as the originals in my experience.

(Good luck trying to buy a DM500HD though)

2. If/when I get the official stuff installed, is the card 'married' or 'paired' to the box, if so how can it be used in the DM500HD?

Yes. You just add your BoxID to the EMU.

3. Ive already set up a dyndns account but do any of the images for the 500HD have the INADYN client built in?

Most, if not all do mate.
If not then it's a very simple install.

4. What image is the easiest to use, bearing in mind I dont intend on re-sharing, (just want to set up a 'closed group')?

You might get a hundred different answers to this one :)

Personally, I use PLi Jade as my main image on my DM500, but I also really like the Nabilosat images.

Clone work just as well as the originals in my experience.

(Good luck trying to buy a DM500HD though)

Many thanks for the quick response to what I realise are pretty stupid questions. As I said, I'm fairly new to this but seeing as my trusty old DBox is about to be rendered useless then I'm just starting to look into it.

The reason I was thinking of going for a genuine box was because I just thought it better to be safe than sorry? Just thought that there would be more support, (images, documentation, general knowledge base), for the originals? I also realise that the 500HD isnt yet released but am only thinking of getting going in the new year, (my cable region aint switched till after xmas hopefully), and was hoping they'd be out by then? What would you recommend me looking at if you think they wont be? I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 800HD doesnt support the subscription card I want to use?

Again, I'd like to thank you for your help.

Back