Dream turning up the pressure on clone importers

sly666

Inactive User
Reaction score
Posted on the offical Dream Multimedia site yesterday...

No chance for clones!
No chance for clones!
Dream succeeds in actions against importers and vendors

Lünen, 12. November 2009. Dream Multimedia, the leading supplier of Linuxbased set-top boxes, is pleased to report further successes in its actions against importers and vendors of so-called cloned, or pirated Dreamboxes. These clones are similar in appearance to the original boxes, but do not provide the stable performance Dreamboxes are known for.

In recent weeks, Dream has been successful in having several consignments impounded, resulting in the destruction of a large number of clones. The actions by Dream are not restricted to Germany. Importers and vendors of Dreambox clones have also been uncovered in Portugal, Spain and Poland. On the one hand, Dream is cooperating with local authorities, and on the other hand is supported by numerous trade partners, who also have an interest in stopping the trade with clones. Such a partnership on a global level exists with the online auction platform Ebay. Other supportive partners include the online marketplace Ricardo in Switzerland and Allegro in Poland.

Dreambox customers can now verify the authenticity of their set-top box, using the new verification system. A verification code is generated using a plug-in that is available for the DM8000 HD PVR DVD, the DM800 HD PVR, the DM600 PVR and the DM7025+ models. This code is then entered on the Dream homepage (Authenticity test | dream-multimedia-tv.de). It is that simple to verify the authenticity of your Dreambox.

Dream spokesperson Alpaslan Karasu: „Together with our partners, such as Ebay, for example, we have succeeded in showing up numerous importers and vendors of Dreambox clones. These vendors now face hefty fines. The new proof of authenticity gives our customers absolute certainty that they have purchased an original quality product backed by our company, and not a clone.“

tbh, I think they've got a bit of a cheek considering the dreambox designs are themselves ripoffs of the original chipset reference designs.

There's really nothing special or unique about the design of the dreambox series.

tbh, I think they've got a bit of a cheek considering the dreambox designs are themselves ripoffs of the original chipset reference designs.

There's really nothing special or unique about the design of the dreambox series.

Very true M8,plus if Dream didnt try to rob people with ridiculous prices people would buy the originals.

These clones are similar in appearance to the original boxes, but do not provide the stable performance Dreamboxes are known for.

Are thay having a laugh?

Cant wait till the new plug-in comes out, the first thing I'm going to do is check if my clone is a clone. :nerner:

:Cheers:

like it will make a difference they will just rebrand them to another name and people buying will know exactly what there buying.

dream have not got a cat in hells chance of stopping the chinese money machine.

rebrand them thats all that will happen.

they produce boxes to help peeps steal tv services and for the last few years
the shoe has been on the other foot....maybe they should lower their prices :proud:
have a look here>>>>Trader Alert

This being said most of the clones are of a very good quality.

And...this Dream authenticity control via plug-in is a real bullshit.
If I ever were to buy a real one for that awfull amount of money I would never wait to be at home to ensure that the product is an original.
It would be too late and the seller would not refund me...
It's a ridiculous control system that doesn't help their customers.

Three words come to mind when it comes to Dream GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY.

Must agree with chercheur most of the clones are of a very good quality.

But if you think about it who makes the Dm800 for Dream multimedia ?

errr some electronics company in errrrrr china, so its no wonder they see fit to copy what theyre making anyway and cut out the end extortionate profit maker :Cheers:

Must agree with chercheur most of the clones are of a very good quality.

But if you think about it who makes the Dm800 for Dream multimedia ?

errr some electronics company in errrrrr china, so its no wonder they see fit to copy what theyre making anyway and cut out the end extortionate profit maker :Cheers:

What you think the manufacturers in china are not making any profit? At least dream filter some cash down to the one thing that makes there boxes worthwhile.

Si

What you think the manufacturers in china are not making any profit?

I know they make a profit, i paid $246 which equates to £147 any profit at this pricepoint is perfectly acceptable to me.

DM are buying in HUGE bulk so there price per unit will be at least half of what i paid.

Totalled up looks like a profit of over £300 at the kerching end.

Hi Guys

There,s nothing wrong in buying clones, but when they go wrong they
go wrong and there,s a lot of moaning, just look at the other threads.
Its the old story, you get what you pay for. Yes Dreamboxes are over
priced, but when you want the best you have to pay for em.

Fezzy

Reality check:

If DM clones were sold legally in the EU, you would expect to see the following retail price.

Cost FOB China = $145
Shipping (sea container, fully loaded) = $10
Import duty = 14% of landed price = 155 x 14% = £21.70
Price at importers = $176.70
Distributors mark up = 10% = $17.67
Shipping to retailer = $10
Buy in Price at retailer = $204.37
Retailer mark up = 25% = $51.09
+VAT = (204.37 + 51.09) x 17.5% = $300.17

So the price in China would be less than half the retail price...

Therefore if official DM800 is selling for £390 you would imagine Dream are making around £200 gross profit per unit. Take off the cost of development, wages, support, marketing, future R&D, taxes etc... the net profit is not that great.

On the other hand, what they charge for the DM8000 is taking the piss... ;)

Back