Downscaling HD video

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Say, for instance, that I had a HD camcorder which records in .MTS or .MP4 formats but I might get some better video hardware in the future.

What program can I use to transcode properly?

I'll make it a bit more clear, just tried most recording modes and Mb/S and VLC stalls all the time. I have an ancient PC.

Last edited:

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Can peoples' PCs just play this HD stuff these days LMAO.

I'm archaic :(. With my graphics bandwidth I could probably draw the frames faster myself in MS Paint.

little_pob

Jnr admin
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Not really my area but for free software, HandBrake is a popular choice. For paid software, Adobe Premier Pro or Sony Vegas Pro

If you are looking for a real time hardware transcoder take a look at the Blackmagic Teranex or Matrox MXO2 offerings. I might be wrong but both seem to need software too.

However, if you're having trouble playing the files - transcoding is going to take a while too. What is the spec of the machine you are trying to playback on?

Last edited:

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Not really my area but for free software, HandBrake is a popular choice. For paid software, Adobe Premier Pro or Sony Vegas Pro

If you are looking for a real time hardware transcoder take a look at the Blackmagic Teranex or Matrox MXO2 offerings. I might be wrong but both seem to need software too.

However, if you're having trouble playing the files - transcoding is going to take a while too. What is the spec of the machine you are trying to playback on?
I think VLC can transcode but I need to have a proper look at it.

It's a fine 2003 vintage machine, Athlon XP3200+, 256MB FX5600 graphics :D. I did say it was ancient :). I just can't justify the money for a new machine, been putting it off forever.

So not everyone can play 40Mbit/S AVCHD?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
If you want Sony Vegas pro pm me mate and i'll send you a disc.
Cheers CS :). I doubt it would be of use to me though because the machine I was using was a couple of steps above the Babbage Difference Engine technology-wise.

Spectre may need a new PC...

little_pob

Jnr admin
Staff member
Jnr Admin
As it would allow hardware acceleration, upgrading the graphics card might be enough for smooth playback. However, you're likely running an AGP card - and they don't make them anymore :(

I can spec you out a multithreaded system for video transcoding if you'd like?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
As it would allow hardware acceleration, upgrading the graphics card might be enough for smooth playback. However, you're likely running an AGP card - and they don't make them anymore :(

I can spec you out a multithreaded system for video transcoding if you'd like?
I need a new PC TBH Pob :(. Been saving a deposit the last few years and I'm repulsed by the thought of big spends LMAO.

little_pob

Jnr admin
Staff member
Jnr Admin
I need a new PC TBH Pob
. Been saving a deposit the last few years and I'm repulsed by the thought of big spends LMAO.
I know that feeling. Thing is once you buy the house, you'll be even more disinclined to buy these kind of luxuries :(

In terms of price, I'm having trouble beating this: Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com But I'd suggest throwing in an Nvidia GTX 650 or AMD Radeon HD 7770 (both around the £80-90 mark) to do some of the grunt work too.

The problem is doing that gets very close to the recommended PSU wattage on the calculator I use, which is pushing me to suggest going self build. Something like: Lists | Ebuyer.com

Neither will set the work on fire, but will give stutter free 1080/50p playback.

Last edited:

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
You can get a ex-corporate Core2Duo like Dell 755 and plug in basic video card for around £100 to keep you going for the time being.

TEST