DM800 Remote control problem

MikeTV

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
From what i've been reading on other forums, this seems to be a problem with genuine and clone 800's.

The remote basically fails to work at a distance over about 6-8ft.

Is anyone else having the problem?

Is there a firmware or other fix possbile for this, or are we talking about using IR extenders?

If it's the latter, can anyone recommend a good cheap system (i've read that most IR extender systems aren't compatible with the 800)

Cheers.

the kameleon IR extenders (and remotes) are compatible with the 800, the code is 7123. i think the problem is with the remotes as i have a clone remote that has to me dead in line with the box to work, the oroginal remote will work from any angle in front of the box, and my kameleon will work it from anywhere in the room, even pointing at the opposite wall

Thanks for this Digi.
My 800 is a clone, and you're right, the remote that came with it is bad.
For this reason, i've been using my original 7025 remote with it which is a tad better, but still very annoying.

Do you think the Kameleon remote on its own will solve the problem for same rooom operation (i.e has it got more oomph than the DM remotes), or do you think i will also need the IR extenders?

Regards, M.

I thought my remote was crap as well but never thought it could be a clone, was running a gemini image up until a couple off weeks ago but have now switched to nabilosat

what other things should be looked out for on a clone?

the kameleon should be good enough m8, i can stand by my front door, point the remote towards the back of the house and the IR signal will bounce round and still work the 800

the remote i have is the 8040

the clones dont have a metal box around the tuner inside as well as some other things

the kameleon should be good enough m8, i can stand by my front door, point the remote towards the back of the house and the IR signal will bounce round and still work the 800

the remote i have is the 8040

the clones dont have a metal box around the tuner inside as well as some other things

Hey Digi,
I picked up a Kameleon URC-8040 remote like yours today, and it's the nuts.
800 is working like a dream!

The code i used was 1237 though.

For info, these are available online, and also at richer sounds and maplins

Delighted. Many thanks.

7123, 1237, same difference lol, it was written off the top of my head, but did this solve the problem m8?

:)

Thanks for this guys. The remote has being driving me nuts. Wasnt sure if it was the 800 or the control itself. Question; if as you say these remotes are clones does this mean that the DM800 is also a clone?

ive got quite a few of these remotes, and ive found a way of telling what remote came with the clonbe box and which came with the original box

this may not be 100% correct, but it tells me which 2 out of my 4 remotes are the clone ones

press the TV button on the top of the remote, itll flash red

press and hold the shift button on the top of the remote for about5 seconds

if the TV button flashes red then its a real DMM remote
if nothing happens then its a clone one

like i said though, ive only tried this on 4 remotes i have here, 2 real and 2 clone, and that tells me the difference

anyone got any recommendations for a universal remote control?

needs to be able to control my

Logitech Z5500 5.1 system
Samsung LCD
Dreambox
IPBox (possibly)

and if its going to be expensive media center remote for windows 2.4GHz

Needs to have buttons i can feel so i can use it without looking

Hey Digi,
I picked up a Kameleon URC-8040 remote like yours today, and it's the nuts.
800 is working like a dream!

The code i used was 1237 though.

For info, these are available online, and also at richer sounds and maplins

Delighted. Many thanks.

Thanks for the info.

i orderd one for myself and it works , miles better

thanks

the kameleon IR extenders (and remotes) are compatible with the 800, the code is 7123. i think the problem is with the remotes as i have a clone remote that has to me dead in line with the box to work, the oroginal remote will work from any angle in front of the box, and my kameleon will work it from anywhere in the room, even pointing at the opposite wall

Hello Digidude I have a Dm800HD clone and found in ebay this universal remote ONE FOR ALL KAMELEON 8 IN 1 REMOTE CONTROL URC8308 do you think that can work with my clone. Thanks

Also, is there any hardware modification that can be done to the remote to give it a bit more range?
maybe to solder on a stronger IR emitter?

has anybody else tried the button combo digi has suggested to prove whether or not your remote is a clone?

ive got clone and original remotes in my house, as i have DM600, 2x 7020 and an 800, and one of the 7020 is a clone, and i use the way described nearly 2 years ago lol, to work out what remote is the clone

ive not taken the clone remote apart, but id imagine that (if possible) a higher output IR LED may help, or maybe even risking removing any current limiting resistor that may be inline with the LED

I had the same problem as you guys are describing where i had to be at most 3 feet away before the remote would work.I then programmed the remote to operate the tv and noticed it had no problems controling the tv from the other side of the room so decided to take a look at the ir inside the box and found the problem.
What i found was a flap of black plastic behind the ir window covering 90% of the sensor.This was part of the front panel plastic so basically the panel had not been trimmed of excess plastic when it came out the mould.I removed the excess plastic and put everything back together and the remote is now functioning as it should.Worth checking you do not have the same problem.

ubbthreads.php

taken from forum for Chinese suppliers

I had the same problem as you guys are describing where i had to be at most 3 feet away before the remote would work.I then programmed the remote to operate the tv and noticed it had no problems controling the tv from the other side of the room so decided to take a look at the ir inside the box and found the problem.
What i found was a flap of black plastic behind the ir window covering 90% of the sensor.This was part of the front panel plastic so basically the panel had not been trimmed of excess plastic when it came out the mould.I removed the excess plastic and put everything back together and the remote is now functioning as it should.Worth checking you do not have the same problem.
was it easy to do this mate or did you have to take some of the components out, fancy taking a look but dont want to knack my new box at the same time, lol!

Back