Dm500 to Laptop?

rutters

DW Regular
Reaction score
My situation is that I have a router downstairs and my laptop (receiving wifi) is upstairs.

My Dm500 (no usb port) is upstairs next to the laptop. Can I connect to the laptop to receive data or does it have to be to the router?

cheers

As far as I've been able to encounter so far - it has to be the router. I tried using the network port on my laptop but neither the box or the lappy seemed too pleased about this arrangement.

try homeplugs one at router and one at dm500 or you could go for a wifi bridge. that connects to your lan port and power supply to make dm wireless. never used a bridge so cant comment on how easy they are to set up..

you can use your laptop you just have to setup ics on the wifi connection or get another bridge/router for £10 and use that

I thought it needed a usb/ethernet port for a wifi bridge?

im sure u will be able to connect it to the laptop. cant see why not.
you might need to tweak with the network settings, give the dreambox an IP and then connect to it. same thing as connecting via router. id try with dhcp off.

i will check for you tomorrow...might not work but worth a go as always.

from what i can gather the usb is only there to power the bridge. a simple iphone pluge would do the same or something similar.

anyone ever tried connecting Dm to laptop with a crossover cable?

try looking up Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) as mentioned by another poster in this thread.

I used to have BT broadband delivered via USB modem to my main computer and I had my Xbox connected to my computer via Crossover cable using ICS to share the connection.

It is possible but annoying. You can buy a set of Home Plug connections from PC World (or cheaper online). This would be my personal option. Powerline Home Networking from PC World - Get Powerline Home Networking online here

I thought it needed a usb/ethernet port for a wifi bridge?

yes the usb is for power only which as mentioned can be got from any usb plug thing.

yes it works 10/100base is a standard any network device can work with a crossover cable, crossover is how they talk tx crosses to rx if it doesn't happen on the cable it happens on the switch/hub/router if it didn't nothing would work.

this should work with a crossover cable. Just make sure that your DM and laptop both have an ip address in the same network range

e.g.
laptop: 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
dm: 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

then you should be able to connect to your dreambox's http server using http://192.168.1.2 on the laptop.

grtz
MrDaViper

Thanks for replying

my Dm is 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

but my laptop is more random.

169.254.XX.XX netmask 255.255.0.0

anything I can do?

cheers

you need to give the laptop a static ip address and change the dm to static also, you have a 169 address because your laptop is set for dhcp but isn't geting a lease, change them both so the numbers match mrdavipers post.

Thanks for your help but could you tell me how to change both to static please?

Sorry if this is a bit rudimentary!!

for xp
hotComm FAQ: Assign Static IP Address (Windows XP)

vista/7 is the same once you find the network connection to do that start>control panel>network & internet>view network status>change adapter properties and follow the xp tut.

for dm500 go to settings>system setup>network, untick dhcp and enter via remote control

Thanks for the link:Clap:

How do I find my router's Subnet mask

and

IP address of your router's default gateway

and

DNS servers your router uses

sorry:Dunce:

if you are using a crossover you dont need any of that, set your laptop ip to 192.168.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.1 leave dns servers emtpy.
dreambox should be 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.2.

now go to http://192.168.1.2 you should see the dreambox web interface.

DM is saying IP: 192.168.0.0

should I leave it as that?

However it says Nameserver: 192.168.1.1

ps
just thought am I setting the laptop's wireless connection to static OR the Crossover cabled connection to the Dm?

cheers

Last edited:
no you have to make them in the same range, just stick them to what i posted and it has to be the wired crossover connection you change, once it's done you might need to disable your wireless adapter or it might not route properly.

Back