DM500-S - Newbie (but not complete) some help required please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squibworth

Banned
Reaction score
Folks,

I am a Newbie (another one!) so be kind to me, I have however done a lot of searching and 'experimented' with some of the Tools like Filezilla, DCC and DBE today!

So the story is -

Bought a Dreambox 500-S from a Satellite Vendor with a Retail Outlet in the U.K (around £140.00) which I believe is original as I checked using Telnet and vendor matches to 00-09-34.

At first the box wasnt working, the image was getting corrupted so I took it back 4 times, and it seems to have stabilised and seems to be working fine. Frustrated somewhat I thought I could prob get up to speed with this myself so here I am.

I have a few questions:

1) How do I know what image the guy at the shop installed on it?

When I check Menu > About it doesnt show anything apart from:

BoxType: DM500
BoardRev: 0.6
Kernel Linux 2.69
Release: 0460

2) How do I know what type of Box this is i.e. DM550c,t etc and what is the
diffrence between the boxes?

3) If I have a basic image on what is the 'best' stable image for the DM500-S
- I have read Pli, Nabilosat are good etc? Where should these be saved to
what directory on the box - I would use FileZilla or Telnet etc.

4) Today, I managed to edit the channel list (to get rid of the Adult Channels) and send the settings back to the Dreambox - however when I edit a Bouqet in DBE it does not update the name of the 'Marker' - when i send the settings back to the box?

5) Is there a 'Custom Created Channel List' somewhere which is similar to the 'Sky Channels' i.e. with numbers edited e.g 101 BBC 1 etc.?

Thanks
Squibworth

I spent the day searching and I did look there (unless I have missed something) ?? still couldn't quite find the answers.... unless Im missing somehting?

well 1st of all to pay 140 notes for a 500s ,u need ur head looked at
as the going rate is about 60-65.
pli jade max var is a good image.
u can flash using dreamup and null modem cable.

I find that comment quite offensive (my head is fine!), considering I never heard of a Dreambox before a couple of weeks ago and how all this worked - i would agree that it may have been slighlty 'premature' but I now have the benefit of knowing that I may be able to do this myself from now on and explain stuff to my family, cousins etc who also want the boxes...

Now, if you could answer the other questions I would appreciate it otherwise I will try and get the other answers by some more reading!

ill tell u what ill do m8
until u can do a proper intro
in the correct section which i linked u to
then i will close thread .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back