dm 500s set up

jango_nick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have finally got all the things i think to set up my dreambox.
Obviously i have a dm500 a laptop a null modem cable and a router.
The end product i am after is to be able to get ccam or gbox as i want to share.
I have read the beginners guide but wanted to know.
I first install dreamup and the flash wizard to back up the box,
are the images cams within the download of the dream up or am i downloading them
separetely for instance.
Dreamup
Flash Wizard
Image say gemini
Cam say cccam
Or are they all within the dreamup
I know it may sound basic for most but i have tried to read alot about it but cant grasp it
If anyone could tell me the easiest set up to achieve what i am trying to do.
Gratefully received.

If you have a gemini image on the db you can download from blue panel/addons any cam you want except gbox, you then needs a key bundle from satans (google satan key bundle) ftp these to var/keys and var/scce, as for sharing, can't help much there m8, never done it meself.
Any probs connecting to the db, let us know we'll see what we can do.
You are better off using DCC (dreambox control centre) for ftp ing to the box, dreamup for image uploading.

Thanks Brewby for reply.
I dont seem to have gemini etc on my dm as i can only see what says install enigma.
It seems to be a blank box if you know what i mean.
I have connected the router, laptop and dm box over an internet line and cannot seem to
even get past this stage as in the expert set up comes up error 404 url not found.
I have someone to re configure the router tomorrow if this is the case but they are a
computer buff not sat buff.
What i needed to know was what are the basic steps after the router i.e do i download
just dreamup which gives images, cams to choose from etc or are these all done separately.
Also what does the satan key bundle do as i have heard of that before but cant get past first stages as yet to find out , how does it all come together?
As said if someone can talk really basic the steps would be great, not for the one of
trying but really stuck.

Cheers.

Yep one step at a time. Download the dm500 gemini v4.0 image to your computer, and unzip it. Then use dreamup software with a null modem cable connected between dreambox and computer.

Once you have the new image loaded set it up to work with your dish and scan satellites, make sure its working ok on free stuff. Then you need to get it networked so that it has internet access.

Once all this is done you will be able to press the blue button to get access to cams and addons direct from the net. Report back for more help if needed.
:)

BTW you don't have to use dreambox control center for ftping.

I found it a terrible piece of software.You can use your favourite ftp client.

I use Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional 2007 and find it better.Personal choice I suppose.

Just remember server name/ip= (dreambox ip) ie 192.168.0.2
login: root
password dreambox

And there is a great little sticky about flashing your box here:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/134463/

Last edited by a moderator:
Failed again,
Got all set up downloaded dreamup, cam and image to my laptop first.
Then when i went to put the null modem cable in to the laptop. The laptop has no ports only a 15 pin female port to add a monitor.
Is there another way of doing it or do i need to find a different computer with the relevant ports.
Cheers

usb to serial adapter off fleabay, assuming you laptop has a usb port.

It worked great with my lappie

Thanks equaliser for the reply.
Went out today and bought a usb to serial so i had a usb and male 9 pin so i connected that to the female female null modem cable that i had, as the dreambox is male and they did'nt have female in shop.
Downloaded dreamup, cccam, gemini onto laptop then put the eternet cable to the laptop and dm500s and the same usb in laptop then dm500s.
I clicked on dreamup then pressed run and it said now connect the dreambox then nothing happened using the power cable.
i tried untick on serrver on the left then tried tick on it entering the ip address this came up ip/pc no match.
went into the ipconfig setting and got ip address 192.168.135 gateway 192.168.1.1 same as dhcp and dns server 80.58.61.250 or 254 do these sound right.
Tried entering onto the dreamup using the different numbers but kept on coming up the same message.
Any ideas.
Also i have had the dm on before just to see what fta you get and when i plug in never on stand by always goes stright to the green light if this matters

if you're just trying to flash a image over (gemeni) in this case the you dont need to touch the neetwork settings in dreamup. just go to

controlpanel----system----hardware----device manager----ports

it'll say the name of your usb-serial adapter and what post it's assigned to.

then in dreamup select what port it said in device manager,connect box via serial null modem cable then click on connect,then it'll say connection prepared switch on box,now plug in the power and you should see dreamup load the bootloader,then simply select the image you want to flash and you're away.

hope this helps m8

Thanks krazylegs.
But the problem is i dont have dreamup on the box yet so i am trying to get this installed first before flashing an image.

dreamup is the loader software on your pc, it doesnt go on your dreambox.
Read krazys advice again because he is pointing out that you need to make sure you are set to use the correct 'port number' ~com1 or com3 or com6 etc.
The advice is to check your pc settings for the usb converter port setting, then check in dreamup that it is set to the same port. So if your pc is using 'comport7' and dreamup is using 'comport1' then thats why you have no connection.
Hope that helps explain more.

Ahh brilliant.
Thanks for all replies will have another go later,much appriciated.

Could be your null modem cable as well.

I had one from maplins which worked great with my technomate and have had it for a few years, but refused to work with dreamup.

Get a cheap and nasty one from fleabay and it worked fist time.

So if you are doing everything ok and still doesnt work, it may be your null modem cable.

Thanks to everyone.
I now have the dreambox up and running it was to do with the com ports in the end and programming the new usb serial adapter.
I have gemini image and all the cams popped up in the window so i downloaded the newest versions of them all.
Are all the cams open now after i have downloaded or when you turn on the dreambox do you have to select the one you want to use.
Thanks

Thanks to everyone.
I now have the dreambox up and running it was to do with the com ports in the end and programming the new usb serial adapter.
I have gemini image and all the cams popped up in the window so i downloaded the newest versions of them all.
Are all the cams open now after i have downloaded or when you turn on the dreambox do you have to select the one you want to use.
Thanks
Seems to depend on the image, some allow you to set a default CAM and then on a per channel basis select another CAM for a particular channel.

Back