Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Digital Hearing Aids

B

Blue Hawk

HELLO. No I'm not deaf, but going that way and having difficulty in deciding what digital hearing aid to go for! I currently have 2 NHS analogue aids but they don't meet every day situations. I've just been to a company for a test and quotation. They want £1900 per ear for a computer regulated Behind The Ear(BTE) aid, or £800 for a manually regulated BTE. They were able to demonstrate the £1900 aid - very good, but were unable to demonstrate the other. As a result I've said I'll think about it!!
I'm sure we must have some members who have gone through this process of switching to digital. I would appreciate any recommendations for Makes/Models, and costs to go for. Also your recommendations for any particular suppliers.
Thanks in advance BH

Sounds like the mother of all rip-offs. :mad: :mad:

Taking advantage of people in your situation is despicable. There is no way that sort of technology should cost that much.

narabdela. Digital hearing aids are not cheap. I was prepared for a quote of up to £1000, but what anoyed me most was after telling them that £1900 was out of the question and being offered one for £800, and spending 45 minutes demonstrating the hearing aid, which I assumed was the £800 model, being told Oh no that was the £1900 model, we dont have a £800 model to show you. I felt that they were trying to pressure me into buying the expensive model.
What I'm looking for is what other people have, how happy they are with the product. Also the cost and where's the best place to go. Regards BH

i don't know much about hearing aids but i know in the uk we pay top doller for everything so i had a quick look at a few sites in the usa and they are a lot less there but i guess its down to the type of model etc but here is a site with a large range http://www.lloydhearingaid.com/digital.cfm#144 and another one it may have the same model here so you can see how much you are getting ripped of by http://www.hightechhearingaids.com/pricing.htm

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 1.56 United States Dollars

£800 = $1,252 £1,900 = $ 2,974.45

Damage, I fully agree with your thoughts on rip off Britain. I hadn't thought of comparing prices with those abroad. Maybe if I can buy from abroad I could try and find a benevolent installer here to fit it for me. Its worth a try!!!
Thanks for the urls, I will give them a try later today. If I come up with anything startling I will make a posting. It may help someone else.

Hi all, Been to a couple of centres and had my hearing assessed.
For the type I need its going to cost approx £2250. I can get the same thing from the USA for £1500, but I cant find anyone who will do and sell me an audiogram which I need to send to America for them to "tune" the hearing aid. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done it this way.

yes that is completely horrid that people with hearing difficulties should have to pay such a high price for the equipment :(

im sorry i do not know where you can get your test done to tune the equipment, i posted on this subject because if in any way we can help if you have a online company you have found that sell the hearing aid you could offer them a banner placement on this site if they can lower the price or give you a free one.

i just really understand how you must be feeling and anything we can do to help just ask :)

Back