Destined for the bin? DM500C

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there

I was given an old DM500C and have had no luck in getting either a picture displayed on the TV or being able to FTP into the device.

I have attached some pics.

I was attempting to flash/backup an image.

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT]

I should add that my router does not seem to recognise the DM when connected and I get limited connection via the serial port.

Last edited:
alright mate, see when you connect box to pc viall null, then press connect then turn box on does it say connected at bottom on the dreamup?

does it say connected or dm500c is talking to us ?

Do you see that

Last edited:
You can't flash a new image by selecting backup
You need to select FLASH to flash an image.
If the image on the box is dead then it won't backup.

Dreamup is talking to the box so select flash and it should flash for you.

@ Rodbouy

When I use DreamUp and connect the Dreambox, in the log window I see:

Box type: DM500
Ping Result: OK, box is alive and speaking to us ;-)

[EDIT]

Also looking at the back of the box it seems to only have RF input/outputs ie Antenna IN/OUT

The box itself says DB500c, but the back looks like the 500T eg

digital_video_broadcasting_500T_dreambox_DM500t.jpg

Last edited:
Like ellie said its talking to you, but you are trying to backup the image. If the image is not working then this will fail.

Read this thread mate and download the img.

Use dream up and select flash and NO to flash erase when prompted.

Once down you will have to use a ftp client to add magic files to clear not fta files.
post back if you get stuck and we can help you out.

But just read through the thread for a start mate. Ellie and others made that img and its a really good img to use on your box mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks for the clarification, I think I have the Terrestrial model not the Cable model.

[EDIT]

I have attempted to flash the DW image onto the receiver but get error messages. It begins to upload but then stops :( ..... it tells me that it will take 12mins 3x secs

I am using a null modem cable that I use with Technomate satellite receiver.

Last edited:
Having read Ellie's thread, I see that the image I'm attempting to use is for Cable/Satellite receivers ( incl clones ), but makes no reference to the 'T' model.

The bottom left simply says 'DM500'

Having read Ellie's thread, I see that the image I'm attempting to use is for Cable/Satellite receivers ( incl clones ), but makes no reference to the 'T' model.

The thread is for cable and nothing else.

Does your box say on the front DM500C or DM500T

edit

Just saw you wrote it only says DM500.

I have never saw that before mate.

Last edited:
Yep, the DB casing says it is a 500C, but looking at the back of the receiver it does not have a F Plug connector, just a RF connector.

So I'm guessing it is a 'T'errestrial model, are there links for a London/England Freeview TV image available or will I be okay with the DW 2.1 image?

Yep, the DB casing says it is a 500C, but looking at the back of the receiver it does not have a F Plug connector, just a RF connector.

So I'm guessing it is a 'T'errestrial model, are there links for a London/England Freeview TV image available or will I be okay with the DW 2.1 image?

you can get DM500c with both. I had an old DM500c with a RF connector. I will email you my backed up img to try. PM me your email

if u want a cable mainboard then i have one spare

pm me if your interested

My DB500c has RF connnectors not F connectors you can buy addaptors from maplins

all dm500 images are sat/cable/terrestrial
only the more modern clone boxes have f-type connectors.

when i dreamup if i play with the computer then it errors, I have to reboot the computer, start dreamup, flash the image. If I try to do anything else it fails for me :(

Thanks for letting me know Ellie, I wasn't too sure if it included terrestrial.

So I can just use a RF to F adapter to allow it to connect to Virgin Media?

@ JohnMMM

Do you mean something like this from Maplins?

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27809

@ Ellie

I will reboot and try again.

Last edited:
So I can just use a RF to F adapter to allow it to connect to Virgin Media?
Many of these adapters are poor quality and can cause signal problems. Assuming you're using a splitter and not your main cable, I'd suggest buying an F plug to Coax plug cable instead of the screw-on adapter.

OK, I found the cable you suggested at Maplins

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=29533

.... lol all I need to do is get it to boot up 1st

When you have flashed the unit sucessfully mate, go into 'Menu' then select 'Information' then select 'about'!
It will tell you which type of tuner the box has. eg Frontend . Terrestrial.
TBH, I dont think that 500T will be any good to you in the uk.

I still can't get this to flash an image :(

Here's a screenshot of what I see, it begins to upload but then caps out and gives me an error message.

Back