dell laptop problems???

premprop51

DW F1 champion 2011
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys looking for a bit help with the missus laptop its a dell lattitude d630 the other day when she put it on the screen has split into 6 squares all showing the same thing now ive tried to restore done all the diagnostics crap blah blah blah but still the same, its currently running windows 7 does anyone know if i reinsatall it would that solve the problem??? if so how do i go about it cause ive no disk for it??

cheers.

Before you go through all that hassle why not get a bootable CD like Hirens or Linux and see if the screen displays normally? If it's just the same reinstalling won't fix it.

hi mate thanks for the quick reply, but before we go any further i aint got a fecking clue about computers thought that would be my easiest solution!!

so can i download this hrens/linux cd?? and if its not that is it heading for the bucket??

cheers.

You can download a free software call Ubunto (Linux) and burn it to a cd then boot & install it. if you still get the same roblem after installing this then its the laptop itself that is needed sort out (hardware issues)
hi mate thanks for the quick reply, but before we go any further i aint got a fecking clue about computers thought that would be my easiest solution!!

so can i download this hrens/linux cd?? and if its not that is it heading for the bucket??

cheers.

na canna get this to work either, well ive got it burnt to disk but the problem is i cant do much on the laptop cause the screen sections are too small cant make much out!

so how easy is it just to do a fresh reinstall of windows 7???

cheers.

If it doesn't come up normally into BIOS - try pressing F12 as it powers up to get a boot options screen - if it's still several tiny screens and it's not in Windows yet it's a hardware fault...

...there's no need to install Unbuntu, it should come up in full screen mode by default from the Live CD. The fact it doesn't again suggests a hardware fault - reinstalling Windows won't fix it.

na tried f12 aswell but still comes up in 6 screens.....feck it ill hand it into a shop tomorrow hopefully they can fix it, if no looks like a new one :-(

thanks anyway mate..

Hey, when you say you have done all the dianostics do you mean the dell onboard diagnostics ? also the 6 screens are they all identical and all have the same image when changed ?
one last thing try pressing the function key and then each F button to see if that puts it back, its been a while so I dont remember the correct combination it may be function and f8

when I say function thats the key with the blue Fn on by the space bar.

Sounds like a hardware fault if it's happening outside of the O/S.

I doubt a BIOS update will work but you can try, the last update for the D630 is version A17 from 2010. The version will be displayed on the initial "DELL" screen if you can see it, so you will be able to identify if you need to do it or not.

Have you tried connecting an external monitor, just to identify if the issue is screen or graphics card related?

The cost of repair will probably be invariably more expensive than the cost of a second hand refurb of the same model.

Last edited:
don't bother taking it to the shop if it is the hardware issues. You're better off saving your money and getting a second hand one from ebay. I bought a Latitude D600 for £87 came with office suite cd and XP disk also.

hi guys thanks for all the help, was pissing me off that much i bit the bullet and bought a new one..

cheers again.

Back