Dell inspiron n5010 3 BEEPS AND BLACK SCREEN

Skyla20

Inactive User
Reaction score
I switched my laptop on and a blank black screen is visable and then 3 beeping sounds come from the laptop and then the fan starts up and becomes really loud but there is nothing on the screen and the beeping noise carrys on in a set of 3 beeps - beep beep beep, they are short beeps and in a set of three. Im not sure what to do because i cant even access my desktop, also i swapped around the ram underneathe and switched it back on and still no luck.
Can amyone help if so i would appreciate it.

3 sort beeps on power up means its failed the P.O.S.T test (power on self test). This means that it has a fault with one of the main components on start up. This will normally be either the hhd, memory or something on the motherboard.

Has it had a knock maybe. Just check everything you can get access to and try again

Ray

DRIED OUT COMPOUND ON CPU... seen it on a lot of laptops that get too hot or have shite in the fans.

take it apart, wont matter warranty has expired and i bet its full of shit in the fan and the compound has dried out. re-paste and clean fan.

Ok i will have a check and repaste if needed, is that the warning for this problem, the three short blees and black screen and a loud fan?

Ok i will have a check and repaste if needed, is that the warning for this problem, the three short blees and black screen and a loud fan?

Its the warning beeps as stated before telling you its not posting... reasons for this are usually hardware related like rams coming lose or hard drives failing but in all the time ive seen it on laptops its always been 99% of the time because laptops are crap with dispersing heat, the little fans only just cope and thats if they are clean, over time dust settles in the fan then the cpu works at a higher temp as its doesnt get the airflow from the fan.

Id hazard a guess this is whats happened to this one and basically theres no compound left of its dry and crusty so when you try to turn on it fails like any pc would with no compound between the cpu and heatsink.

Im only saying what it could be, theres no way for me to tell you 100% what it is but from EXPERIENCE thats what it sounds like to me.

this is the online strip down manual all the operations are hyper linked

Documentation

they are all fairly well documented but if you jump to system board each stage has a link to follow and then back to systemboard, sounds more complicated than it is.

good luck

Back