Defining Racism Is Not As Easy As It May Seem.

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
So I had a bad day at the carboot sale and decided to have a bitch and a moan on a blog in this forum, however my blog got pulled, and to be honest even though i did try to remain diplomatic with my words I did step over the mark I think... or did I?
That led me to one question.... How do you define racism?

Firstly I consider myself Welsh even though I was born in Germany whilst my Welsh dad served in HMF. My mother is English, and my grandparents were Irish and German. All this after the time of the Norwegian and Roman invasions. So considering this and the fact, that not even the royal family have pure roots I questioned... How can a racist remark be withdrawn when the chances are that even though it was aimed at a certain breed of person the chances of that person being that breed and that breed alone are virtualy non exhistant?

Then there is the fact that I am or at least consider myself to be Welsh. However If you look at the Television and watch for instance Anne Robbinson on the Weakest Link or those Pot Noodle adverts it seems perfectly exceptable to make so called humourous remarks about the Welsh that for some reason are not classed as racist remarks or racist reflections of the Welsh. This site also ads to the contoversy because not only does it seem acceptable to call some one a Jock, Taff, Sheepshagger or Potatoe Farmer etc yet we cant call a certain breed unclean or smelly etc. Now this is the part where someone will tell me that a racist remark is where something commented is personally upsetting or something like that...

Well I say any remark can be considered personally upsetting, it just depends on whose saying it and it what manner. For instance one of my friends calling me a sheepshagger is funny to him but acceptable by me. However if my boss calls me taffy the sheepshagger then, do i have the right to fill his face full of my fist? Because thats how it makes me feel.

I suppose in this multi-racial society that we have to teach every so called breed to accept remarks like us Scotish, Irish, Welsh and English have done. We have to teach these new races to laugh not only at us for being so leaneant with them but to learn how to laugh at themselves like we have done as a Brit making up the United Kingdom. After all they are or at least in 30 years or so will be considering themselves British so they have to fit in with us so called British.

We wouldnt have a United Kingdom if we were not accepting as we are. All we would be is a few poxy countries fighting each other in a never ending battle.

So I suppose what I am trully asking is.....Is hiding so called racist remarks and statements posted actually helping the United Kingdom become a more racially accepting place to live or is it as i fear actually helping to keep us seperated as a nation?

These questions need answering by us as a nation before we can move forward. We need to look at how the home nations came to accept one and other to create the United Kingdom. We can also look at the likes of how Canada and America (the home of free speech) accepted one and other. Because im sure it wasnt from hiding the truth and living a lie.

R A N T O V E R

Well said you sheep shagging taff lol

Racism is what ever those in power want it to be ! seems to change to suit their agenda's

The dictionary definition works for me:

Racism

noun
[mass noun]
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race , especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:theories of racism

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior

Defining what is racist behaviour is more problematic. Much depends on intention.

Racism is generally for most only seen as targeted at certain groups, with a large percentage overlooked...some more than others.

I had an instance a few weeks ago where I and a large group of colleagues went out to Akbar's Indian Restaurant in Manchester, varying backgrounds but only one of our colleagues being Indian. There were some initial issues due to seating etc as there was 13 of us, then they decided (without even asking) we where to get the "set meal". After a small debate and the fact that they had pretty much laid most of the food out we decided not to bother to argue and just accepted. My friend having been before ensured he ordered some extras and asked if we could change some of the dishes for something hotter.

Now this is where i took offense, although i didn't but should have followed it up. The words from what appeared to be the senior guy on the floor directing all the waiters who was talking to my Indian colleague and without any due consideration to others basically said "These other white people won't eat spicy food like you".

How did he know? He doesn't know us? He had immediately categorized and stereotyped us.

This may not be a direct insulting remark and had it not been for the fact I had already had a few beers, I might have said something, but it wasn't until afterwards when I thought about it that even my Indian colleague thought it was out of place.

its bull$hit used by people with no spine to get their own way, as they know the person theyre accusing of being the racist, will instantly back down

if i was to complain to the police that a black guy called me a white w@nker, nothing would happen, yet if i was to follow up with fk you you black pr1ck, im an instant racist

whats the difference?

ive grown up all of my life, surrounded by people of so many different colours, backgrounds, races, etc, that race to me doesnt actually mean anything at all, but try telling that to someone when im white

its VERY one way, and it sucks arse, big time

It shouldn't be one way but history makes it difficult.

It is not very long ago that, anti black, asian, irish, discrimination was very overt.

Another difficultly is that the these peoples were oppressed and subjugated by Britain and other european nations. At one time Africans were regarded as sub-human.

Mistrust can be strong on all sides.

It shouldn't be one way but history makes it difficult.

It is not very long ago that, anti black, asian, irish, discrimination was very overt.

Another difficultly is that the these peoples were oppressed and subjugated by Britain and other european nations. At one time Africans were regarded as sub-human.

Mistrust can be strong on all sides.

Less we forget that it was only in the 1960's that it was illegal to speak welsh in the work place... So the system is now discriminating by not making other breeds follow the same laws that were in place when the welsh identity was robbed from the welsh people who wanted to work.

Im not saying that it was a bad idea, as i now fully understand the issues it creates. For example going into the local corner shop and having someone say something when you walk in and then have a group of people who work in the shop laughing at something cant help but make you feel uncomfortable. Thus making you feel bitter towards those who dont speak your language, which can only create deeper issues toward racism.

Yes and let's not forget women.

Still a fair bit of misogyny about.

Its very hard to define racism, If I am in england and sombody calles me mick or paddy thats considered racism in todays standards, I was born and rared in Dublin so Im called a dub, I now live in a place called roscommon mid west Ireland. I reguarly and very viciously get called a dublin knacker, a blow in. When there there is a burgalry in the area the locals immedatly say fooking dublin knackers again, even though 99% of people caught are locals. If there is a local issue being discussed and I put my sixpence worth in I am told my opinion is not welcome go back to dublin. The majority off people aroung here are lovely frendly people. So the people that do call me dublin knacker etc are they being racist, could I report them to the police I think I would be laughed at. But just imagine one of the said people saying something to a pakistani like go back to were you came from packie then there would be trouble.

I have a small collection of Golliwogs I think they look great. Does that make me racist?. Where exactly do you draw the line with this.

I have a small collection of Golliwogs.

It was a toy, which was turned into a racist symbol, but not by the people that made it, or the kids that had one, because as always the card can be played when it suits.

No one would have ever thought to turn cabbage patch kids dolls into a "I hate fat people" symbol.

If people respect each other, and behave towards others in a considerate way, then there is no problem.

Of course some people wont.

There are some who need to have someone else to blame for their perceived problems.

There are others who will exploit people's fears in order to stir things up: some just for the hell of it, some because they are narrow minded and others who have something to gain by stoking up xenophobia.

while there is a small amount of people who will for whatever reason 'pick on' someone just because of their skin colour, this is a VERY small number of people

the main problem with 'racism' is people inventing it BECAUSE of their colour (or any other reason)

people can, and will, argue about anything you can think of

when one of them then turns round and says the argument is 'because im [insert anything you want to here]' then it instantly becaomes racist, based on that person 'playing the race card'

to me, all these people screaming 'im being discriminated against because im........' should stfu and get a life, its people like this who make the whole 'racist' thing the problwm that it is

xenophobia
(Psychology) hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture
When you use the word xenophobia I am sure you are referring to white people

images.jpg

british-police-go-to-hell.jpg

antisemitism01.jpg

No Emarald, Im not.

Another thing that causes so many problems: making assumptions.

lmao, you on the fence pussy lolol

when wales win, thatll mean you lost twice

(put your last £3k on wales to win m8, at least youll get sommat back lol)

Only just saw this you Welsh jammy barsterward :Laugh: Thought it apt I call you that in this thread.

Good look wales go all the way............

Back