default program disassociation

spareafagmate

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a accidently set notepad as the recommended default program of a certain file type (.bn11). vista will not allow me to remove notepad from the list to leave it blank.

how do i overcome this?

thanks in advance

Select the file in explorer, right click properties, on the general tab where it says file type select change, that should let you sort it out...;)

Ahhh I c...you want to un-associate it...sorry..not awake yet..lol
Hmm...just tried it myself & it won't let me either...You tried in safe mode?

Had a quick snoop about found this m8: HERE
Looks like it'll do waht your after..;)

The guys writes:
The utility discussed in this article helps you unassociate a file type quickly in your Windows Vista computer. Windows Vista does not provide a GUI option to unassociate file types. That's the reason I wrote this simple tool.
Ahaha...thats why we can't find how to un do it then :proud::proud:

Don't have vista but have a couple of thoughts.

System restore? Back to before you wrongly associated the file....

or

uninstall notepad, click on the file and select the correct program, then re-install notepad

From looking it seems that it's not easy to uninstall notepad and windows will keep re-installing it anyway. Does right clicking on the file and selecting "open with" work in vista as in xp? If not I've found this advice elsewhere. Involves editing the registry with it's associated risks so back it up first (system restore?)

Windows Vista has many minor annoying issues. One of them is that Files Association mechanism doesn't let you simply remove an association, you can only replace an application with another one; anyway there is a trick.

Remove all entries under the following Registry Key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dll\OpenWithList". That's all...no more associations for your file extension.

Think it will remove all your associations but should simply be a case of re-setting them.

I've never done this so don't know if it works

Here's something to try
Click Start, type regedit.exe and press Enter.
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[extention here]

Delete the sub-key named "UserChoice"

Close Regedit.exe

Back