Deep fried Mas bars.....

ukbob

VIP Old Codger
VIP Member
Reaction score
As i sit in in my man cave i just pondered on this question...
Is it a myth or do people actually deep fry em?

yes, you can buy them and yes i have tried one, but never again, The dish originated at a chip shop in Scotland as a novelty item.

there is a chip shop, Park Slope Chip Shop in Brooklyn, New York that will deep fry anything, and i took a Mars bar :)

I once asked a chippy owner in Glasgow who on earth bought them. He told me that some locals had tried them when they were first a thing, but it was now only tourists, from south of the border and elsewhere, who ever asked for them.

(btw, can you still get deep fried Scotch Pies? I used to love them back in the day :p)

I have tried one and to be honest it was good, abit like a chocolate crispy doughnut their not on paper meant to go together. I'd compare it to pineapple on a pizza. I spent some time in Oz and in the Asian section sectors they deep fry quite alot of creepy crawly's. Some I tried some I just couldn't do.

(btw, can you still get deep fried Scotch Pies? I used to love them back in the day :p)
That takes me back, used to buy one from chippy outside the school in Blackburn (the Susan Boyle one, not Lancashire, lol). IIRC they had a cut in them from centre outwards to allow the fat to ahem - enter the pie.

I could just eat one now, but I fear my arteries are clogging up just thinking about having one.

Back