Decisions, Decisions.

lammy1961

Reaction score
I'm about to put my Apple TV out to grass (give it to my son) and I'm in the market for a new Kodi device, now my options are either a Fire Stick or a MXQ Quad Core Android TV Box or any TV Box maybe recommended by an experienced member of this forum.
The Fire Stick is my 1st choice however my only reservation is that it is Wi-Fi only, It's not that I haven't got a good wireless signal, It's just that I prefer to be wired, but I can be talked around.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Just get fire TV (not stick) then..solved all your problems.

Used the Amazon fire stick but gave it away..Seemed very sluggish and I found it struggled all the time with kodi even using light builds.

Last edited:
I think firesticks are fine if you keep the build small. I think a few members have installed my build on firesticks and I haven't had any complaints yet. There's also the raspberry pi3 in that price range. A few members on here recommend them and I have read some good reviews if you only want to run kodi.

I would go the android box route, as You get usb connection to use as a media player. Make sure to get one with 2 gig of memory and a good gpu like the mali 450 or better for h.265 playback, or as ferret says a Raspberry PI

If you do go for android try an buy something with lollipop android os at the least.

Firestick never been sluggish for me, works perfect.

I second that jsut put basic kodi with whatever addons you want keep them to the minimum no need for any builds

I'm going to have a go with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, I will obviously need a Micro SD Card and a case.....Is that it ?
What Operating System do members recommend ?

Thanks to all who replied.

You will need a power adaptor, but vertually any old android phone charger will do.

You may want a case, but its not esential.

You will need a power adaptor, but vertually any old android phone charger will do.

You may want a case, but its not esential.

Think it needs to be 2.5 amp on the PI 3

I butchered an old Dreambox PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have a go with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, I will obviously need a Micro SD Card and a case.....Is that it ?
What Operating System do members recommend ?

Thanks to all who replied.

OpenElec mate stable as owt youll find.

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

stick_figure_miscommunication_anim_md_wm.gif

I have openelec a PC, it also has a sat card in it which open elec runs (via TV headend) Its a great little OS

I've got an MXQ box with Paul Aspdens latest supreme build,it works a treat

I've got an MXQ box with Paul Aspdens latest supreme build,it works a treat

Openelec is not a build, it is a cut down version of Linux which just runs Kodi, you could put a build on the top of that if you wish but most people just install exactly what they want and then set the menu system to suit their exact needs.

Mimic is a great skin to use to customize your menus I also find it easy to read the TV guide etc at 15 foot, different skins will effect things like that.

Back