debt collection agency

delboy13

Inactive User
Reaction score
i need some advice my dad has just moved in with us because he has oesaphagal cancer which means he can not eat any solid food he is on a liquid diet.last year he spent alot of time in hospital.he has lost half of his bodywieght.he does not work and the bank gave him a credit card on which he owes money now they have passed the debt onto a collection agency.just wondering what happens now can they come in the house and take my property. he owns nothing in the house apart from his clothes. he says he has spoken to the bank and they wanted all the money which he did not have. he only gets a little bit on benefits

Not an expert in financial matters.

maybe talk to his bank and find out if he can pay off some of his debt at an agreed rate that is managable for him?

You could claim bankruptcy and let the government pay....need to read their web site direct.gov.co.uk.

law also says that they cannot come and take your goods without permission so you could check with the local ctizen advice.

Hope this helps?

he has been citizen advicee and with there help sent a letter to the bank asking to freeze the interest as he has been hospital for a few months and he is still in and out of hospital and he has tod them how much he can afford to pay them a month i don't think they were interested.problem is he does not keep me informed with what is going on.i saw a letter today and it said collection agency will contact him soon nothing to do with the bank anymore

he may be entitled to 30 mins free solicitors advice?

Hopefully there maybe someone here that is a financial expert.

Good luck with it all.

just looked on the net and it says debt collectors can not take your property or enter your property only court baillifs can.my dad is back in hospital again do not know for how long

I wouldn't hide from any debt collectors. if your house is in your name along with the bills etc I wouldn't think that you had anything to fear.

sorry to hear about your situation, i hope your dad improves. I dont think anyone can force entry on his property including the courts debt collectors, they can enter through windows or what haveyou that are left open but you are going to need proffesional advice, maybe you should try a free law clinic, at the very least go back to the citizens advice, Try hear
.cancerbackup.org.uk/Resourcessupport/Practicalissues/Financiallegalissues
or
.nationaldebtline.co.uk/
these might offer a bit of direction
Good Luck

Last edited:
Believe me mate these debt collection agencies are nothing to worry about.

If you are in financial difficulties or a low income these agencies have to try and help you put something in place to help you out. If your dad contacts them and explains the situation they will agree a payment plan in order to pay this back that he can afford. They tend to use rather heavy handed tactics to try and get you to pay but they have got no rights at all to start taking property or anything like that.

If your Dad writes out a financial statement of his incomings and outgoings and makes them an offer of payment they have to accept his offer. People often exaggerate these payments so the statement shows that they have very little to live on, make an offer of £1 or £2 per month and they are accepted. These offers are normally accepted on a 3 or 6 monthly review status to see if your circumstances have changed.

Most of the time even if these letters are ignored they will just keep on sending them threatening you with "further action" saying this and that "could" happen or a doorstep collector "may" call out to your house. Even if one of these doorstep collectors do call out which is quite rare all they can do is try to arrange a payment plan with you in the same way they do over the phone but people get intimidated by it as its face to face.

Generally if they can’t collect the debt in 6 months it is passed back to the organisation and they instruct another debt collection agency to try and collect it and the same process starts all over again.

Last edited:
they can not take anythin u own if they try to gain access to your property it will be breakin entry (DO NOT LET THEM IN ) if u walk away from the door make sure u close it if they try to put ther foot in the door that is also breakin entry if u do let them in the only room they can look at is the room your dad is sleeping in make sure u declare everthin in this house is yours. as said above go to citizens advice find out the laws and the policies which they have to follow and remind them of it. citizens advice will set up a payment scheme for u and they will also stop the intrest aswell

sorry to hear your havin probs mate hope u sort it out soon

Nobody can come anywhere near the inside of your house, to be even able to call out with the intent of taking property for the value of the debt it would have to go to court first.

Honestly you have got nothing at all to worry about, just get a financial statement off to them with an offer of payment and it will be accepted.

Any further action or bailiffs is a long long long way off

thanks for all the help will wait till he recieves a letter from them

i need some advice my dad has just moved in with us because he has oesaphagal cancer which means he can not eat any solid food he is on a liquid diet.last year he spent alot of time in hospital.he has lost half of his bodywieght.he does not work and the bank gave him a credit card on which he owes money now they have passed the debt onto a collection agency.just wondering what happens now can they come in the house and take my property. he owns nothing in the house apart from his clothes. he says he has spoken to the bank and they wanted all the money which he did not have. he only gets a little bit on benefits

first off its your dads debt NOT yours , he is liable for the debt not you, if debt collectors want to take anything IT MUST BELONG TO YOUR DAD NOT YOU and can only enter with your permission, if they take any of your property then its theft on their part, if they enter or try to enter your property WITHOUT your permission that's trespass so call 999 and report you are being burgled..(do not invite them in at any time make them stand at the door and when you have had enough ask them to leave your property) be polite and dont swear or lose your temper and Don't threaten them in anyway with violence.
as advised in earlier go to citizens advice and never admit to anything or offer to pay the debt collectors any money cos then you will be deemed as accepting responsability for your fathers debt.your stock answer should be
" sorry its my fathers debt not mine so please stop harassing me for money or i will take the matter further with my solicitor ,don't call here again"

Back