Death Toll May Double

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
More than 40,000 people have died following the Asian earthquake disaster - but it is feared the death toll may reach up to 57,000.
The UN says only the biggest disaster operation the world has ever seen will be enough to help the millions left homeless.

Several nations, including Britain, have already sent planes carrying emergency supplies.

Indonesia's vice president said up to 25,000 people may have died on Sumatra alone.

More than 18,000 were killed in Sri Lanka and 9,000 in India, including 7,000 in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.

About 1,500 people died when the train they were in was hit by the tsunami that swept Sri Lanka's coastline.

In Thailand, the death toll is expected to reach 2,000.
Some 800 bodies have been found in a hotel in the Khao Lak area.

Across the region, 17 British people have been killed. There is a warning the number could rise.

More than 50 people were killed in the Maldives after water inundated the low-lying string of islands.

In Malaysia, 59 people are confirmed dead. Most of them drowned on the tourist island of Penang. There are still many people missing.

It is also feared hundreds of people have been killed along the northern coast of Somalia, nearly 4,000 miles from the epicentre of the quake.

The quake measured 9 on the Richter scale and is the fourth strongest ever recorded.

i dont know if anyone has noticed but on the motarola ad inbetween adverts on films there is a ad where ppl are being washed ashore sitting on yellow rubber rings and landing ontop of each other i think in the light of what has happened that advert is in bad taste well thats my thoughts on the matter maybe not everyones

russ

Back