Black Lives Matter

i dont think its about the black element . i was stopped 3 weeks into lockdown by 2 clowns . when i was stopped i got out the car and this rookie was shouting get back in the car no soicialy distancing. he continued to be an asshole for 15 mins while my self and wife had to deal with this clown telling me it was against the law not to carry my driving liecence. changed his mind when i told him to charge me with it then. IMHO most police has a attitude problem

Was the police action justified by the reason they gave for stopping the car, which was that it was being "driven suspiciously." What exactly does that mean? When I'm driving, I'm suspicious of every other road user in case they do something stupid and cause an accident. That was just a catchall excuse, made up after the event and impossible to disprove, to hide the real motive, which is a product of police officers' limited intelligence.

To illustrate, here is a syllogism:

All criminals drive expensive cars
X is a criminal
Therefore X drives an expensive car

The third statement is a logical deduction from the first two. A false syllogism is this:

All criminals drive expensive cars
X drives an expensive car
Therefore X is a criminal

The third statement is not a logical deduction from the first two, except in the small minds of police officers when they see a black person driving an expensive car. When the stop and search policy is racially applied in that way, it is no wonder that black people are upset. I heard only yesterday that 80% of recent searches of black people resulted in no further action. That does not show police intelligence.

As for Cressida Dick, what an appropriate name for the head of the Met.
Nice car tinted windows failing to stop in an area with very recent gang stabbings.
This time it was 2 "on their high horse", "up their own arse" BAME athletes. Next time it's half a dozen gang members armed to the teeth with knives looking for payback cos someone dissed them in a YouTube rap innit?
The Police fail to stop that car then 2 or 3 BAME families are mourning the loss of a loved one.

"I heard only yesterday that 80% of recent searches of black people resulted in no further action. "

I wonder what percentage of white people searched resulted in no further action being taken? You only see one side though don't you?

Having stopped the car and seen that the occupants were a couple with a baby, not "half a dozen gang members armed to the teeth with knives," the police could easily have defused the situation by just asking a few questions and letting them move on, instead of behaving so aggressively and continuing with the full search. It's the disproportionate use of police powers, particularly by the Met, which is so wrong

Searches of white people are only slightly more likely (84%) to result in no further action, but black people are almost 10 times more likely to be stopped in the first place. Of the roughly 20% overall of cases where further action is taken, the majority of charges are for drugs and theft, with only 9% of that 20% relating to weapons. That means that there is only a 1 in 50 chance of any search finding weapons, which is a long way from "next time" so is hardly an effective way of protecting BAME families or anyone else.

Having stopped the car and seen that the occupants were a couple with a baby, not "half a dozen gang members armed to the teeth with knives," the police could easily have defused the situation by just asking a few questions and letting them move on, instead of behaving so aggressively and continuing with the full search. It's the disproportionate use of police powers, particularly by the Met, which is so wrong

Searches of white people are only slightly more likely (84%) to result in no further action, but black people are almost 10 times more likely to be stopped in the first place. Of the roughly 20% overall of cases where further action is taken, the majority of charges are for drugs and theft, with only 9% of that 20% relating to weapons. That means that there is only a 1 in 50 chance of any search finding weapons, which is a long way from "next time" so is hardly an effective way of protecting BAME families or anyone else.
Which would have been the case had they stopped.
You keep making an argument for people who disobeyed a lawful request to stop, a lawful request to get out of the vehicle. They had nothing to hide so why were they being such dicks' about it????
So they could kick up a fuss. Boo Hoo, look at poor little downtrodden me. People are getting sick to the back teeth hearing how badly they've been treated.
I've never been racist, I've been on the other end of it. But this present BLM crap is bringing out an animosity in me towards their whole movement.

Ah, the old chestnut of "They had nothing to hide so..." used as spurious justification for official interference in the private lives of citizens. It's an affront to civil liberties and the right of individuals to go about their business without undue interference from state authorities.

Unfortunately, what we will never know is what those police officers said to each other before stopping the vehicle, and whether that was consistent with what they later said was their reason.

I'm not sure whom you mean when you say "them" but I wasn't defending anyone, I was criticising the police.

I think there is serving Police office's that overstep the mark and don’t know the law, as they probably can’t be bothered to the learn it or make it up to suit there needs.
YouTube and social media is rife with incompetent police officers that are protected by an institute that has corruption within its ranks to look after their own, bit like the government.

I think there is serving Police office's that overstep the mark and don’t know the law, as they probably can’t be bothered to the learn it or make it up to suit there needs.
YouTube and social media is rife with incompetent police officers that are protected by an institute that has corruption within its ranks to look after their own, bit like the government.

Ahhh, Grand Lodge Members, isn't it?

Rory Bremner now in the spotlight for wearing the "Blackface" during some of his shows.
It has been said that he didn't offer an apology while discussing recent public outrage over blackface performances

Why should he? Did he make them to look more absurd than the white politicians and Royalty he mimicked? The answer would be no.

"He may need a crash course in diversity training as he appeared to ignore any hint of responsibility for past sketches where he dressed as TV chef Ainsley Harriot and news reading legend Sir Trevor McDonald."
I'm quite sure he admits to having done it but they have got the wording wrong. Instead of "appeared to ignore any hint of responsibility" they should be reporting "appeared to ignore any hint of blame or even shame"

Again, why should he? He poked fun at many celebrities equally and regardless of race.

"While many comedians – including Little Britain stars David Walliams and Matt Lucas – have expressed regret over using blackface in past sketches, Rory has stood firm over his own decisions."

Difference between Rory Bremner and those 2 are that Rory is being honest.
Story here

Why are there no White people complaining about the amount of Black premiership footballers with blonde hair? Perhaps we're supposed to think it's natural?

I almost never agree with anything that Donald Trump has to say, but I agree partially with him replying to a question about black people being killed by law enforcement, with the fact that white people are also killed.
It's as though we aren't allowed a say in it at all.

It mostly seems to boil down to that one word that is used most discriminatory, the word is disproportionate or disproportionately.

There are far more whites killed by law enforcement than blacks. This is true, but as the black community make up only around 13% of the population, the killing of blacks is disproportionately high. That is also true.

What very rarely get's said is that over half of all murders in the US are committed by that 13% which is extremely disproportionately high. Therefore a black person is far more likely to be in a position where they could suffer harm at the hands of Law Enforcement.

Doesn't make it right but where's our voice? It's as though our opinion is being taken away from us.

This was my last post on this subject. I never used to let things like this get to me before but due to my illness last year I'm starting to see things a little differently, and I don't like what I'm seeing.

I'm no racist. Never have been, never will be. However, I do strongly believe in commonsense and hate to see it apparently slipping away.

Times are a changing and the media storm will eventually die down. Turn the tv over and watch something else or read something you’re more interested in. Don’t be drawn in by it and try not to overthink it.
It is what it is and for me personally will not let it affect my life and I hope you try not to let it affect yours, just get on with your life.
I will say it again, you can not change history, you can only learn from it.
I understand that some of my ancestors did some things that were wrong but I do not owe any apologies for them. All life matters.

Comes with age avid. You get more tolerant of some things and less tolerant of others. I also have an in between where I have zero tolerance.

Another "in" word for the media and Labour party is clarity. This assumes that the whole of the UK needs everything broken down in simple steps so we can understand the most basic of concepts.

Took great care there to ensure I didn't break my promise of not broaching the subject matter again. Nowadays every word is also taken too literally and we have to be careful what we say ;) Signing off on this thread now lest I burst a blood vessel or worse still find anything in their argument which I agree with.

Back