Deaf Signing on TV Programmes

dweeb4

Inactive User
Reaction score
How many hearing people are annoyed by the signers that appear on films and other TV programmes late at night?

I would imagine that it annoys most hearing viewers & research by OFCOM has shown that 66,000 know signing well enough in the UK to use it. Of these 66,000 most prefer to watch subtitles.

So why persist with something that can't be turned on/off when needed at any time of the day or night - not just late at night?

You know, i watched Top gear the north pole one with that stupid sign language..

we have a 43" at the time and i swear 10" of the rhs had a blue box and a man stood there doing sign language.. was well annoying.. i had to watch it as it was the final viewing at the time and didnt fancy watching it ont pc :( iplayer..

I did watch watchdog last night with sign language aswell..

BBC needs to remove it.. or have a seperate bbc1 with sign on the programs..

not annoyed at all as most if not all these programs are repeats, and can probably be watched on on demand or i-player if need be.

it annoys me more the crap ITV puts on through the night itv nightscreen or whatever the feck it is, or all the crap word game shows where the answers are made up in some mad feckers head.

not to mention all those fecking shopping shows with crap that only drunken idiots would buy during te night.

If I was in the UK I would be able to watch these programmes on iPlay but I can't so that option is closed to me!

Ok I admit that they are slightly annoying when watching programmes mainly Mr Tumble or like Rab said repeats,but at the end of the day Its all for a good reason.

Surely if YOU was deaf you would rely on this service???? I just think that this rant is a little below the belt.

And I not starting an argument,just my opinion:Dunce:

Ok I admit that they are slightly annoying when watching programmes mainly Mr Tumble or like Rab said repeats,but at the end of the day Its all for a good reason.

Surely if YOU was deaf you would rely on this service???? I just think that this rant is a little below the belt.

And I not starting an argument,just my opinion:Dunce:

If i wanted to record something, i could'nt because that is at the bottom of my screen, so i should have an option of turning it off as i am not deaf & have no need for it.....

If i wanted to record something, i could'nt because that is at the bottom of my screen, so i should have an option of turning it off as i am not deaf & have no need for it.....

I quite agree there should be an option,But if you want to watch something that badly and I,m assuming that your Recording it.............that you do

Wheres the problem,You would still sit and watch reguardless of sign language.

I quite agree there should be an option,But if you want to watch something that badly and I,m assuming that your Recording it.............that you do

Wheres the problem,You would still sit and watch reguardless of sign language.

I know where your coming from m8, & i know there's lots of people that need it but why should people that are'nt deaf have to be forced to have it when there's no need for it.....

tbh ive watched programs with the sign language on and ive just forgot the sign language is there, doesnt bother me one bit, atleast your getting to see the program again.

I'm not annoyed at all. How possibly could you be annoyed when it helps people with disabilities. Even if it helps a handful of people it is worth it IMO.

Pathetic rant.

Didn't want to comment on this because its too close to home, but agree with Munkey. My grandson is deaf. Recently had cochlear electronic inplants in both ears and hopefully this will help bring back some sound to him. He's 2 years old.
If you are not involved with a profoundly deaf person then I guess that bottom right hand corner can be a pain.
I personally find their skill set and speed very impressive, but then again I would.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

there's lots of people that need it but why should people that are'nt deaf have to be forced to have it when there's no need for it.....

Good question point
1 Your not forced to watch it,Is someone holding a Gun to your Head?

2 there is every need for it.................What would you do if you were Deaf?

Did anyone see the statistics in my original post - From OFCom figures, there are approx 66,000 in the UK who have the ability to read the signers and the majority of these would prefer sub-titles (which I believe could be turned on/off).

So my point is why is this forced on the hearing majority when even the non-hearing minority would prefer subtitles on every programme? Is this not a dis-service to the non-hearing community?

You see I'm not just a fascist who wants to ignore the deaf but I believe this is just tokenism by channels to pretend to support the deaf community because they are forced to by law.

So all those posters who jump up & holler about my rant - think for a minute about what you are saying. This sort of response is typical of the PC crowd who get their knickers in a twist when anything sensitive is discussed or opinion expressed about minorities

Last edited:
Try watching something with the sound off you may appreciate what a deaf person has to go through.
I'm 50% deaf and fortuntely need neither subtitles nor signing.

People in wheelchairs are a minority but they still provide access ramps to get into buildings, but i suppose you always walk up the steps.

Yours is just a selfish rant because you can't be asked to either watch or record the programmes when they are shown at normal times. After all most of these programmes are screened very late at night or in the early hours.

On a different note did people with tunnel vision object when fims/programmes were shown in wide screen?

Good question point
1 Your not forced to watch it,Is someone holding a Gun to your Head?

2 there is every need for it.................What would you do if you were Deaf?

1.....Read my post again i never sayed i was forced to watch it, people who are'nt deaf are forced to have it there in the picture.....

2.....I know there is every need for it but im not deaf so why is there not an option to switch it off.....

Think about it - it forces deaf people to watch these programmes late at night - surely this is discriminatory? Why not have all programmes with subtitle option?

Another thing that I wonder about is - are the signers doing it live or is the signing recorded onto the programme. it seems to me that it would be far cheaper to subtitle every programme than to have live signers employed (if they are live)

Last edited:
some people really are thick! :flame:
That is there language and is it self quicker and easer to understand than writing as the signer puts enfersis on certain WORDS or SIGNS if you like so that the story line is understood and also as you can tell not all people can spell and read that well i have a lot of deaf freinds that can not read as schooling was not as it is now people in late 20s were not schooled proper

I am a level 2 qualified signer have a deaf partner and i am dislecsix so i can't read the subs at the best of times before u rant check if your bein fair to all our sociaty

i really can't spell for toffy

sorry if i offended anyone but really gets my back up when people don't know what there talkin about:Angryfire

also there should be more of sign on at normal times we are discrimating agaist people

NEWS PROGRAMS SHOULD BE DONE
in fact all programs should be done with the option of on and off in this digital age should not be a problem to press the red button

aghgh :Angryfire rant over for me calm calm thoughts:drink::Cheers::beer:

some people really are thick! :flame:
sorry if i offended anyone but really gets my back up when people don't know what there talkin about:Angryfire

I quoted the Ofcom statistics in my first post & these said that most of the deaf prefer sub-titles - so are you saying that they are wrong? Are you saying that most of the 66,00 deaf people can't read very well? Please enlighten me

Back