DD-WRT on a D-Link DIR-615 router

darren221980

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I managed to get DD-WRT working on a D-Link DIR-615 router almost 2 months ago which has been working fine, in one room for my Openbox and PS3 etc. However i've now just been given another one of these, so wanted to also set this up as a backup but when i have followed the instructions that i used last time it hasn't worked.

So i thought if i could log into the previous DIR-615 router i put DD-WRT onto successfully that i could do a backup of the settings from it and then restore that backup to the new router. However as it was so long ago that i flashed it i can't remember what IP address i set it to to start off with! If i plug my PC / Laptop direct into the first DIR-615 it shows me the IP address for my main router which is a HG532 (some crappy TalkTalk router) but no IP address for the actual DIR-615 router.

So what i need if possible is some commands or an app which will allow me to connect to the first DIR-615 router to obtain the IP address of the device so i can take a backup of the settings from it.

Anyone know if the above is possible?

Thanks,

Darren

could you just not plug your router into your pc then open a dos box and type ipconfig then your router ip will be on the line that says Default Gateway?

could you just not plug your router into your pc then open a dos box and type ipconfig then your router ip will be on the line that says Default Gateway?

I thought i could so tried that first, but as it's just repeating my main router connection between different floors of my house this only shows the Main router (HG532) IP address as the default gateway.

Superscan has given me the IP address for the first DIR615 router but just refuses to let me connect to the management console via wifi or ethernet cable :(

Also getting connection refused if i try to telnet / ssh into it.

I have done about 5 of these to ddwrt - straightforward

You need to download the ddwrt firmware, make sure its the one thats named factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Best way to do it via emergency mode, I find this method to be the most reliable

Connect the DLink router to your PC (sort of create a new network)

Set your computer's ip manually to: 192.168.0.10 AND set your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

unplug the power cable to the router

press the reset button and plug in the power cable when the power led flashes orange release the reset.

go to http://192.168.0.1

Upload your downloaded firmware and wait

Be very careful to check the version !

There are at least 4, possibly more distinctly different versions which all require different firmwares

You need to go to wireless network connection properties. Click on internet protocol tcp/ip and to the properties. Select "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server automatically". Click ok and then close it. now check the ip address on the computer again.

Be very careful to check the version !

There are at least 4, possibly more distinctly different versions which all require different firmwares

I have the D2 and D4 version and they use the same ddwrt firmware,certain D3 uses same firmware

I've got the D2 and D4 and according to site they both use sane firmware. I'll have another play around with this tonight and if I get it working take a backup of the settings to save future hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify things, are you using two routers at the same time? (Excluding the newest one). Please disregard the following if this is not the case.

If so, I suspect you are using the wrong IP address, hence the inability to connect to the web interface. The DDWRT will have one IP address for the interface and another one given to it by the primary router. All other devices will also be given addresses by the main router.

I can never remember, so I've started to stick labels to the routers with the address, user and password details (obviously obscured).

Just to clarify things, are you using two routers at the same time? (Excluding the newest one). Please disregard the following if this is not the case.

If so, I suspect you are using the wrong IP address, hence the inability to connect to the web interface. The DDWRT will have one IP address for the interface and another one given to it by the primary router. All other devices will also be given addresses by the main router.

I can never remember, so I've started to stick labels to the routers with the address, user and password details (obviously obscured).

Yep already got two routers running, one is a Huawei HG532 and then a D-Link DIR615. I've managed to put the dd-wrt firmware onto the then second DIR615 (3rd router in total) but even though i've entered all the correct settings from the instructions i used successfully on the first DIR615 it doesn't appear to be able to connect to the internet. Although i noticed that if i logged into the HG532 it can see that the second DIR615 is connected to it so i suspect that i may have used an incorrect setting somewhere.

I just thought that if i could get back into the dd-wrt menu on the first DIR615 router i successfully flashed which has been working for around 2 months i could take a backup of the settings from it and restore them to the second DIR615 and save me messing with the settings. But unfortunately no matter what browser i use i can't connect back into the first DIR615 which is working fine via wifi or if directly connected to it via a ethernet cable. If i use telnet / ssh the connection is just refused.

Looks like i'll have to play aroud with the settings a bit more then and when i get it working again make sure to take a backup this time :)

The web interface for the HG532 is http://192.168.1.1. This is also the default for ddwrt onthe 615. I suspect that you had to change it in the first place to get it to work. Possibly 192.168.2.1. Note it is the 3rd set of numbers that is different, not the last.

I suggest the first thing to try is persist with router 3. Disconnect 3 from 1 and set the configuration page of 3 to a different ID. Perhaps 192.168.3.1. (This is under Basic setup, network setup). Also Disable dhcp, as the ip addresses will be issued by router 1. 2&3 are just repeaters. If this works, write down the page address on the back of router 3.

If it does not work, try a traceroute command from a device connected to router 2. This should show all devices on the way. How to Use the Traceroute Command

Good luck.

I have the D2 and D4 version and they use the same ddwrt firmware,certain D3 uses same firmware

Think most of the 'D' versions use the same or similar firmware - maybe slightly different I/O arrangement ot hardware switches, but the 'B' and 'C' versions are very different beasts

virgin used to give those routers out when i got the 50 mg broadband about 2 years ago and they had them set up differently i think you might have to flash a new version of firmware for the d-link first then flash dd-wrt after it was just a thought hope it might help you

Back