iPhone Cydia upgrading difficulties

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on the Cydia site for ages on my iPhone 3GS so when I did trying to research another problem it came up saying I needed 3 essential upgrades - one of which is Core Utilities(bin) Debian Utilities,

When I try to upgrade it something runs in the background for a short while and then I get an error message 'failed in buffer' and I have to restart springboard. Any ideas what I can do to resolve this as I have the feeling it is linked to another problem I am having. The phone won't backup in iTunes either!

Thanks for looking.

hi mate try back up to the cloud, and as in my previous post , if that fails use itools, once installed, you will see your idevice on the left connected, hit on the tools option/then itunes backup/a box prompt will come up there you will see the option to back up your itunes, the easy solution would be the custom fw as it could do with a fresh install and jailbreak , sn0wbreeze will do both at the same time for u ,creating a custom fw, some more advice below mate

Most Cydia error messages mean there are problems with packages or sources you have installed, not bugs in Cydia, so you can resolve the errors yourself. A lot of errors can be solved by doing the following:

1.Open Cydia, go to Changes, tap Refresh on the top left, wait for data to download and reload (if this process takes a long time it's fine), and then try installing a package.
2.If that does not fix it, try this: open Cydia, go to Manage and tap Sources (or on iPad just go to Sources), tap Edit, and remove any third-party repositories — make sure to leave the default repositories, which are BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti (this is very important as these are some of the most important sources).
3.If that still does not help, try rebooting your device and opening Cydia again.

Attachments

• iTools.rar
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Thanks bifffo1, I will have another play tonight, I think my wife thought I had disowned her last night! lol

hi mate try back up to the cloud, and as in my previous post , if that fails use itools, once installed, you will see your idevice on the left connected, hit on the tools option/then itunes backup/a box prompt will come up there you will see the option to back up your itunes, the easy solution would be the custom fw as it could do with a fresh install and jailbreak , sn0wbreeze will do both at the same time for u ,creating a custom fw, some more advice below mate
I can't even back up with iTools! I get an error message - unsupported file type

Any ideas? You know sometimes you wish you hadn't got out of bed in the morning!
lol
Thanks for your patience.

hi mate i know its a pain but

1.uninstall all the cydia repos bar the preinstalled you get when u 1st jailbreak, so your left with just the basic 5 repos
2.try manually installing the cydia.deb file , shsh into your device again you can use itools, or ifile by this method

First step is to get the Cydia 1.1.1 .deb file onto your iDevice. Do this w/ either Safari Download Manager or a SSH Tool (I prefer iPhone Explorer to access the iDevice Filesystem)
Tools needed:
Safari Download Manager
iFile

1. Get the Cydia 1.1.8 deb file via Safari Download Manager:From Here
2. Use iFile and UNARCHIVE the folder

3. Open the Cydia 1.1.8 Folder and COPY the 'cydia_1.1.8_iphoneos-arm.deb' file

4. Go to: /var/root/Media and PASTE the cydia deb file here

5. Now go to: /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall and PASTE the Cydia deb file here, too.

you might have to create the Cydia and AutoInstall folders. If so, pay attention to the capitalization! You might even need to create the Media folder if it isn't inside the /var/root/ folder***

6. Go back to the /var/root/Media folder and TAP on the Cydia deb file

7. INSTALL the Cydia deb file

8. Now REBOOT your phone.

9. You should now have Cydia

failing this mate try using custom fw with saved shsh blobs with sn0wbreeze

@biffo1 tried as you suggested, managed to copy folders as you suggested but no joy. As soon as I try yo upgrade I get as far as unpacking Debian utilities, it crashes again and I get return to Cydia. Should I remove all the apps using iphone browser and see if that does anything?

I cannot open a single app on my phone anymore, I get the loading screen and then it goes back to springboard.

I've had enough now, I may even just upgrade to latest firmware and forget all about it.

:eek:(

Thanks for trying to help, appreciated your efforts on my behalf but enough is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
might sound daft but try re jailbreaking it before you as last resort restore your device

might sound daft but try re jailbreaking it before you as last resort restore your device
I must admit I had the same thought myself, nothing ventured............

@biffo1 @Kryton
Well, a measure of success although I now have a flashing apple logo. I did briefly have a flashing pineapple logo so where would you suggest I go from here. I have tried using Ifaith to create an IPSW with no success. Is tiny umbrella an option? The jailbreak seemed to work all the way to the end but I ended up with flashing apple logo. Any ideas guys? one step forward and two backwards it would seem. ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back