Cyclists I Hate You!!!!!

if you are on the motorway, on far outside lane, someone is doing 60 infront, its illegal for you to go into the inside lane to undertake him, you seem to think this is illegal, i have heard of people getting a good bollocking for it and google says on tv traffic cops gave someone a nice prize for it, im sure if i looked further i would see people getting points for it.

No it isn't, of your driving with due care and undertaking properly I.E not speeding, lane hopping, then it's fine, your still confusing dangerous driving with undertaking, again i will say there is no law for undertaking you cannot be prosecuted for undertaking only what they deem as dangerous driving, but you can legally undertake provided you do it correctly, anyway i have said it enough times.

It's illegal "by proxy". In that it could be used as evidence for a careless or dangerous driving case but isn't mentioned as a specific offence, or at least this was the case in 2004:

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, overtaking on the inside is against the law. Significant stretches of our motorways are under surveillance. The driver of a vehicle who deliberately comes up behind another vehicle in a middle or outside lane and then swerves inside to overtake could easily be charged with careless driving.

Lord Elton: My Lords, will the noble Lord kindly write to me—he will not have the information at his fingertips—to say when it was made illegal to overtake on the inside? Many of us have been saying that it should be made illegal but were told that it would not be done.

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, the actual manoeuvre of one vehicle going past another in the inside lane because there might be a slow-down in the outside lane, and the inside lane is continuing to move, is not illegal. Deliberately setting out to pass a vehicle by moving from one lane to another to go inside it and to go past leaves open the possibility that such a manoeuvre appears to be careless driving, and it could be subject to such a charge.
Source: Lords Hansard text for 9 Feb 2004 (240209-03)

see Lp understands the diff.

I am not particularly inclined to break the law than I ride my bicycle. Usually does not choose a safer road or sidewalk, and I am sometimes away from the street onto the sidewalk, or vice versa, or in the middle of the journey. And maybe even make this short cut. However, I never do anything that violates allows passenger's, and I always do it safely.

No it isn't, of your driving with due care and undertaking properly I.E not speeding, lane hopping, then it's fine, your still confusing dangerous driving with undertaking, again i will say there is no law for undertaking you cannot be prosecuted for undertaking only what they deem as dangerous driving, but you can legally undertake provided you do it correctly, anyway i have said it enough times.

Well its still illeagel then isnt it ? If you get done for dangerous driving then when you undertook someone thats the illeage manouver then isnt it ? I mean you havent got done for picking your nose as dangours driving now is it ?

God sake man, no matter what way you dress it up the undertaking manouver is illeage because if you do it your likey to get done for it requardless of what it says on the ticket.

how long has undertaking been illegal ?
i was not aware .
i know it is careless and downright bloody dangerous .
but in some cases it is totally unavoidable .
there is nothing worse than an old biddy hoggin the middle lane doin 50mph .
i see it EVERY day .
now your saying to avoid him in the middle lane from the inside u dont undertake , but u go to overtake him in the fast lane ? going thru 3 or 4 lanes of traffic ?
personally i would do this (and give him a sign , and cut him up from the fast lane to give him the message to move inside )
but most people seriously would undertake him ....and legally so too

how long has undertaking been illegal ?
i was not aware .
i know it is careless and downright bloody dangerous .
but in some cases it is totally unavoidable .
there is nothing worse than an old biddy hoggin the middle lane doin 50mph .
i see it EVERY day .
now your saying to avoid him in the middle lane from the inside u dont undertake , but u go to overtake him in the fast lane ? going thru 3 or 4 lanes of traffic ?
personally i would do this (and give him a sign , and cut him up from the fast lane to give him the message to move inside )
but most people seriously would undertake him ....and legally so too

There is no law saying its illegal

But if your caught doing it they can do you under dangers driving as basically unless in slow moving traffic the highway code Disallows it

Back