CSCS card anyone done one on here?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a job as a general labourer on a local site to me and at the minute i desperatly need to find any work possible.The job says i need a cscs card to get on site and i know it's a health and safety thing.

Whats the best way to get one? How much does it cost? And how long does it take?

Cheers.

hey sargie, done this a couple of times its very simple common sense most of it tbh, i think its about 50 quid all together, i think you get a hour to do it, its multiple choice on a computer in a test center just like when you do your driving test theroy

look here

How to Apply for a CSCS card

Focus

done mine a couple of years back, is a health and safety thoery test dont on a touch screen computer, really easy all common sense, altho i havnt spoken to anyone who didnt get the fire extingusher question right lol

hey sargie, done this a couple of times its very simple common sense most of it tbh, i think its about 50 quid all together, i think you get a hour to do it, its multiple choice on a computer in a test center just like when you do your driving test theroy

look here

How to Apply for a CSCS card

Focus

That much? i thought it was cheaper. It says £17.50 for the test here is there additional cost?

To book a ConstructionSkills Health and Safety Test online click here or you can call the information and booking line on 0344 994 4488 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0344 994 4488 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. The cost of the test is £17.50.

quite expensive so i,m told but rewarding enough to get on site re work
not much around these days!! my lad failed his, i,ll promt him on this info cheers.

hello im new to the uk... so i have no proper knowledge of what is needed for this field of occupation.... So bare with my silly Q&A..
My bf is in construction... he is a constructions manager the last 11 years in the same company.... but he has no cscs card nor any nvq's ... go figure...
He was told to get a black or gold CSCS card or at least get the construction NVQ's lvl 3 ,4 so then he can apply either for gold or black...
How can you get this NVQ level's quick...??? What is this exactly ??? I know that if i dont ask ... he never will.... and now lately they have made redundant almost half of managers and construction managers.. and im afraid bcoz he hasnt got this they might get rid of him... so got to chase this while its still warm...

As for me.... i finished a honours degree abroad in computing and due to my bf's line of work i want to enter it myself... i learnt the BIW Program for a DOCUMENT CONTROLLER job. does that need CSCS card because he told me i might need also .. but a different colour... do i need NVQ's also ????

Thanking you in advance ..
Do apologize for my lack of knowledge...

to get work on any building site across the uk you need to have a cscs card depending on which field you want to go in thats the part you go for on cscs (mine is General highways maintainence level 2).
as for gold or black cscs cards they will take much longer to get Types of CSCS Skill Cards | CSCS this lists all the cards and the qualifications needed

Last edited:
to get work on any building site across the uk you need to have a cscs card depending on which field you want to go in thats the part you go for on cscs (mine is General highways maintainence level 2).
as for gold or black cscs cards they will take much longer to get Types of CSCS Skill Cards | CSCS this lists all the cards and the qualifications needed

ok so you went a did a test for you lvl 2 ;;; what color is your card??

@ Sargie: You will want the "operative" test, which is about £47.00 and is a green card.

Black hat is for supervisors, which I'm told I have to do because I have third party IT guys working onsite.

I don't work in construction directly, but need one to be able to go onto sites.

Test is a piece of pi** to pass if you have the mock ones as its pretty much the same. Just make sure you get the fire extinguishers right as its one that always catches people out.

Last edited:
@ Sargie: You will want the "operative" test, which is about £47.00 and is a green card.

Black hat is for supervisors, which I'm told I have to do because I have third party IT guys working onsite.

I don't work in construction directly, but need one to be able to go onto sites.

Test is a piece of pi** to pass if you have the mock ones as its pretty much the same. Just make sure you get the fire extinguishers right as its one that always catches people out.

Dont think sargie needs advice anymore as it was nearly 2 years ago lol

Lol, didn't even notice. hahaha

Would have made more sense the second question was a new thread.

As with all tests like this the key is to practice the mocks over and over. I went in and finished mine in 6 minutes, even answered the survey afterwards.

CSCS cards are mainly for Health & Safety, CPCS are for operating plant machinery. These come in Red and Blue types, red for whilst you are training for your NVQ and then Blue once you have completed NVQ Level II. Red cards last for 2-3 years and Blue cards for 5 years. Your categories are printed on the back of the card, showing expiry dates etc.

If you have to deal with them on a frequent basis might be worth getting access here - https://phoenixonline.cskills.org/phoenix/home.asp

Then you can track and check expiry dates and categories.

How many q&a can someone get wrong ???
and final question ...

Is there a way to skip the Nvq's ... by that i mean can you jump categories from 1 go to 5..... I asked one of his mates and he heard that you can like skip and go straight to nvq lvl 4 or 5 by having someone assess you ... if this is true ... how is this done??? What we need is to get a.s.a.p. the nvq's for the gold or black card.. Since he has never done nvq's and i really dont know what this is... Is it possible to do this out of work..?? Is this a test .... or an experience thing.... Coz if its a test i can book 1 every week or other week to actually read this stuff... i booked yesterday for the end of the month the health and safety test and a trainee card and books and all..

Back