crossover cable ftp

john99xx

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hiya all,

I don't want to sound stupid, but do I need a router for my crossover cable? or do I insert in in that back of my hard drive?
The only place it will fit is were my broadband connects
do i unplug the broadband connector and insert the cross over cable there?

thanks for any help
johnny

Hiya all,

I don't want to sound stupid, but do I need a router for my crossover cable? or do I insert in in that back of my hard drive?
The only place it will fit is were my broadband connects
do i unplug the broadband connector and insert the cross over cable there?

thanks for any help
johnny

Crossover is used to connect directly. So you will have one end plugged into your PC (instead of your ethernet connection) and the other into your dreambox. You dont need a router at all.

The crossover cable can be plugged into dreambox and then the other end into the ethernet socket on your pc or one of the spare ethernet sockets on a router.

If you choose to use the router option, it can either be a crossover cable or a straight through ethernet cable but if dreambox to pc then it must be crossover.

I dont know why all people say you NEED a cossover... All gigabit ethernet equipment, and most new 10/100Mb equipment, support automatic crossover, meaning that any cable can be used!

Check your Network card to see if it is a 1000 - if it is a relatively new PC with an onboard ethernet, then it will most likely be a gigabit... double check anyway!

Back