Crossepg DM800se not updating correctly

Mine hasn't crashed since I made the changes to crossepg_loader.py and EPG.DAT has updated each and every night.

I'm trying to recode the file to use eConsoleAppContainer but I'll be damned if I can get it to work :(

Mine hasn't crashed since I made the changes to crossepg_loader.py and EPG.DAT has updated each and every night.

I'm trying to recode the file to use eConsoleAppContainer but I'll be damned if I can get it to work :(

Hi
I throught you said there was a problem with the crossepg loader.py file, something about random crashes or di you release an other version that I missed.

Not released another version but there's been 1 report of it crashing with an out of memory error which I investigated and found another way to run an external program, it's using this method that I can't get working.

Dbuk 2.1.2. It never used to stay awake until I added those two process files :(

You could try reverting to the original .py file, no need to remove the subprocess.pyo file and see if starts going into standby, this would pinpoint the problem to the modified .py but I'll be honest I've got no idea why the mod would cause this.

With some help from the guys on the OpenPli forums who have confirmed what I suspected, running a program using eConsoleAppContainer means that the app runs in the background which explains the results I was getting. Busy at the mo but might have another look at this tonight to see if I can get it working.

Quick question, for the people using the modded crossepg_loader.py file that I uploaded a week+ ago who has had a EPG update failure and if you did is there a crash file? I've been running with the modded file and my box has done the update each and every night, the only time it blipped was when I did a bouquet updated but forgot to restart enigma2 so it got a bit confused as there were mismatches between what was in the bouquet and the cached epg loaded in RAM.

Quick question, for the people using the modded crossepg_loader.py file that I uploaded a week+ ago who has had a EPG update failure and if you did is there a crash file? I've been running with the modded file and my box has done the update each and every night, the only time it blipped was when I did a bouquet updated but forgot to restart enigma2 so it got a bit confused as there were mismatches between what was in the bouquet and the cached epg loaded in RAM.

I haven't had any failures yet but like I mentioned earlier, the box had been failing to return to standby a few times which could indicate a crash but I haven't looked to see if there's any crash logs.

I haven't had any failures yet but like I mentioned earlier, the box had been failing to return to standby a few times which could indicate a crash but I haven't looked to see if there's any crash logs.

Have a quick look on your HDD to see if there are logs that correspond to the days that the box never returned to standby.

Reason I ask is that I've never had a failure, according to the good chaps on the OpenPLi forums subprocess should be fine, they've suggested that I use strace to perform a trace which I've setup on my box but as I said my box has never failed, which leaves me no further forward in terms of a solution.

Have a quick look on your HDD to see if there are logs that correspond to the days that the box never returned to standby.

Reason I ask is that I've never had a failure, according to the good chaps on the OpenPLi forums subprocess should be fine, they've suggested that I use strace to perform a trace which I've setup on my box but as I said my box has never failed, which leaves me no further forward in terms of a solution.

I'll have a look next time I'm on the pc mate not home at the moment though :(

Just had a look and there are crashlogs from the days the box didnt reurn to standby so me wondering if a crash was the cause seems to be right, they all read more or less the same, heres the most recent...

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much memory and flash space do you have?

In telnet type:

free - to get free memory and then

df - to get flash space

am wondering if you have a genuine lack of memory problem, also what addons/plugins do you have installed and do you have swap space configured?

So my box has for free:

Code:

and for df:
Code:

so assuming that the block size for the RAM and flash is the same then I have around 2.7Mb of RAM free and 16Mb of flash space free, which realistically is not a lot. If your figures are much less it might be worth allocating some swap space to help with the lack of RAM.

Last edited:
To create swap space, again within DDC, telnet type:

Initialise file that will be used as swap
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/usb/swapfile bs=1024 count=8192

Prepare the swapfile
mkswap /media/usb/swapfile

Activate the swapfile
swapon /media/usb/swapfile

If you ever want to deactivate it then
swapoff /media/usb/swapfile

In the above replace /media/usb with the path to where you want to create the swap, so if on HDD then /media/hdd but I wouldn't recommend using the HDD as in theory it will be slower and with the swap active the HDD will never spin down. The bs is the block size, in this case I've used 1k blocks and the count is the number of these blocks to write, so the combination of the block size and count will dicate the size of the created file, in this case 8Mb. The name swapfile can be anything you want, just seemed to make sense to call it what it is :)

So having done the above when I run free it now shows that I have an 8Mb of swap which means that the box now has the 8Mb space which it can use to swap our memory to the USB if a program makes a demand for for memory beyond 2.7Mb:
Code:

Last edited:
You've got more free RAM than I have so can't see why I don't have a problem, you do have around 5Mb less free space on the flash. What EPG guides do you download, all I have is OpenTV 28.2E selected.

You could try creating some swap space on your USB, if it doesn't help you can always deactivate it.

Back