CPI plus 3.9 increases

Abu Baniaz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A large number companies have the CPI plus ~4% increase every year. So next spring there will be huge price increases.

You'd think that the powers that be would try and convince firms to not apply the increases.

Last edited:
They should not be allowed to impose mandatory increases in addition to the CPI, I wrote to my MP about that when I saw the T & Cs for PlusNet after their latest change last year. The reply I got was to shop around and get a different ISP.

It seems to apply to all the ISPs who use BT lines and as I have no other option where I live, as Virgin won't install cable where I live, I am stuck with their over inflated price increases as they all appear to be operating the same cartel.

Still not too bad considering. Across the pond in the US our Social Security (retirement/disability funding) bumped the inflation index (COLA) to 5.9% for 2022.
We will see what next year brings, but prices have definitely been spiking.

Still not too bad considering. Across the pond in the US our Social Security (retirement/disability funding) bumped the inflation index (COLA) to 5.9% for 2022.
We will see what next year brings, but prices have definitely been spiking.
Do you mean 5.9% in total or like we will be having, which could easily be anywhere between the 10.1% that it was 7 days ago to the 13.3% forecast by the Bank of England to be by October with some experts saying that it could easily reach 18% by the end of 2022, plus the 3.9% CPI on top ?

Just got my emails from Plusnet. They are wording it to just show the + bit, to deflect that away from the fact it is a ~14% increase. Surely a 10% rise would have been high enough?

It is a complete rip off, fortunately I am leaving PlusNet tomorrow as I am getting fibre to the premises installed and will be moving to BT.

Because I am a pensioner with a low income, I qualify for their essentials package that will give me almost 3X the speed I got at PlusNet with unlimited downloads and free UK landline and mobile calls for half of what I am paying now and from what I can tell it will stay at £20 a month (with a one off fee of £9.99) until further notice as it has never been increased since the scheme was introduced in June 2021.

It's strange that PlusNet is owned by BT but they do not have the same scheme as if they did I would rather have stayed with them than have to move to BT.

Back