Couple of Questions on a Wii - chipped or not chipped? ntsc or pal

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

me mate has a wii that he brought from jamaca, think it'll be NTSC then, he said that he paid for a "chip" to be put in it and was under the impression that he can then play "pal" games and the like, he states that it won't play them, think he got a burned game from some one and it must be PAL.

I was just asking him if it was a "chip" or if it was "softmodded" he says that to play any of the other games that he just puts it in and it plays, so no bootmi, or what ever it was called.

I've told him that I would get him a "pal" game just to confirm as it could just be the game/medium it's burned on, and then I was thinking that he might as well stick a hard drive on it and then just download the games that way.

What ya all think?

Thanks, Dibbs.

if he mods it then it wont matter which region it is, u can make the wii region free.

i would be a little concerned modding a chipped wii, i dont know muched about how chipped wii's and modding goes..

what i would do is check what version firmware the wii is on,
if its on 4.1,4.2 or 4.3 then i would softmod it using modmii.
if its on anything lower then you really want to upgrade the firmware (can also be done with modmii), do the softmod and bung a harddrive on it.

if you break it doing the softmod due to the chip, its not a big a problem as it used to be,
second hand wii's are going for around 50quid nowadays...

cheaper than the harddrive lol...

to sum up...

fook it, go for the softmod and hardrive..

if ya break it, buy a second hand one... lol

Last edited:
Thaks for that matey! I'll get him to check it and then see what version it's on.....

Cheers again.

game have used machines at £39.99 so as said get wii mod and softmod it

On later firmwares I'm not sure you can boot different region games from the disc channel on a modded wii (can't seem to on mine, 4.2E) but if he installs neo gamma he'll be able to boot anything from there.

you should be able to load any region games in you select "region free everything" in pri-loader.

can't say i've treid it though, more or less went straight to harddrive.. :)

Back