Corrupt PW Protected Doc file help!

Sushi9

Inactive User
Reaction score
Newbie to the site so I hope I'm in the right section, apologies in advance if I'm not.

I had a password protected MS Word Doc on a HD that crashed. I recovered the file, I know the PW, but MSWord won't even ask me for the PW, it just asks what encoding I want to use.

Hoping someone smarter than me might have some insight as to how to get into the file?

Much thanks!

Re: corrupt PW protected MS Word Doc help!

You have tried notepad/wordpad?? Be prepared to discover that the "recovered" file is full of garbage though; what program did you use to recover it?? Recuva is my weapon of choice.

try opening the document with notepad and wordpad see if that works, if not try uploading the file to an online convertor, convert the file to a word doc, yes I know thats what you havw already but the conversion may fix the file. :)

depending on when this all happened you may be able to recover a temp copy that Office saves into a temp folder whislst editing / creating a document

Re: corrupt PW protected MS Word Doc help!

I really appreciate the quick responses. I recovered with Recuva, yes. I have the Doc file on my desktop. When i try to open with MS Word (or Wordpad as you suggested), it asked me for encoding choices and then i get gobblygook. Am I outta luck? I think the issue is that it was PW protected and MS Word is NOT asking me for the password, so it's opening the encrypted file :(

Last edited:
Maggot, I'll try this, thanks! (probably the only time in my life that I'll say "Maggot, I'll try this"!!) ... didn't work. I think the issue is that it was PW protected and MS Word is NOT asking me for the password, so it's opening the encrypted file :(

Open Word first then Try Open > Click the 'file type' box and select 'recover text from any file' but i suspect it's knackered

Back