Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HP DV6-2020Sa corrupt bios

seanicca

VIP Member
VIP Member
Got the above laptop and all been fine till I tried turning it on earlier. There's just a black screen and the drives and fans kick in and the number and caps lock buttons flash twice. Looking on the net it seems I have a corrupt BIOS which people have fixed by flashing using USB drive, my problem is I can't seem to find the correct file to use, Its probably a case of looking too hard and getting pissed off with it. I was hoping someone could point me back in the right direction or do i give up and pay someone?

Cheers
Sean

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Managed to work out how to extract the .fd file etc but nothing happening so think for the sake of the laptop I'll leave this till weekend when I'll have calmed down, grown my hair back and have more time.

Cheers

no joy with this at all, laptop recognises the usb when powered on but still black screen and flashing lights. think this will have to be a repair shop

cheers shaun127 for the help

is it bios lockup?

before yoiu take it to shop, try pulling out the bios battery and main battery for ten minutes or so.

or have a look here..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=4034132

The leds blink twice which according to the HP site is corrupt BIOS. People have reported solving this by flashing using usb, but my attempts seem to fail. I'm just trying the BIOS battery now, as for main battery that's just about had it anyway.

The leds blink twice which according to the HP site is corrupt BIOS. People have reported solving this by flashing using usb, but my attempts seem to fail. I'm just trying the BIOS battery now, as for main battery that's just about had it anyway.

FAT32 formatted usb drive and bios files in the root not in a folder

Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - C700 / CQ40 / CQ45 / DV4 / DV5 / DV6 / HDX18T - Insyde BIOS RECOVERY using a USB THUMBDRIVE

read above seanicca mate

tried that M8, I've formatted to fat/fat16 & 32 in folder and on root. I've got to the point where the laptop sees the usb kicks in and seems to be flashing as stated on internet (lights on usb blinking, so its being read) but keeps beeping and blinking and never reboots.

Tried all variations I can think of but no joy. The silly moo just told me the dog knocked it off edge of sofa the other day but she didn't tell me coz it was OK when she picked it up, so maybe something else wrong with this. Anyway she got gadget cover with insurance so going to ring and see what they say.

Cheers for the help guys

I removed the BIOS chip and flashed the latest version with my Nano flasher but the issue remains the same. My DV6-2020sa powers on with no video, no hard disk activity, no caps lock flash and the fan running constantly. Gunna scrap it!

As i see it, you download the bios flasher from the hp website, and extract the .FD file using 7zip or winrar. Then rename the file to (the first four chars).BIN . Ive tried this but no success, i keep getting beeps and then nothing, indicating wrong file. Did this work for anyone?

As i see it, you download the bios flasher from the hp website, and extract the .FD file using 7zip or winrar. Then rename the file to (the first four chars).BIN . Ive tried this but no success, i keep getting beeps and then nothing, indicating wrong file. Did this work for anyone?

It didn't for me, I sent it off for repair and ended up getting a new one

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Back