Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Every Single Media File I Own Is Now Corrupt? display quality corrupt? Blocks etc.

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm off to shot me self in the face.....

Every single media file i own on the pc is corrupt, I've tried different media players and loaded the file onto other machines, i copied it to my lap top next door....there all corrupt at some point, it's all most as though they have been run through some sort of program that's stripped them of there quality.....here is an example from Family Guy.....

It's like this on every single piece of media i own, every film, every documentry, every series, i've just downloaded a film for testing and it's working fine, it's as i say all most as though everything i owned has been damaged.............if I'm not back in the morning you know i didn't wake up...

Untitled-9.jpg

Re: Every Single Media File I Own Is Now Corrupt? display quality corrupt? Blocks etc

how the fooks that happened like, dont tell me you havnt got these things backed up and 1 of many of your raid arrays, thought that was the purpose of all these drives you have, lol!

but now ya gunna say no i havnt got them backed up just everything else, ha!

Re: Every Single Media File I Own Is Now Corrupt? display quality corrupt? Blocks etc

Does the OS reside on another drive to the media?

Yes mate i think dibs is using an ssd as os drive. But best wait for him to confirm!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Just out of interest what difference would it make as they must have played fine beforehand!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

i would say he downloaded summit which has changed the files tbh
do a system restore to see if it gets removed

where are they stored? raid? 1 hard disk? NAS? server?

i would say he downloaded summit which has changed the files tbh
do a system restore to see if it gets removed

I would run a malwarebytes scan but Dibbers has said that new downloads are OK.

So the root causes I can think off are,
- Some sort of malware
- Issue with operating system or drive
- Issue with disk controller (more likely if this was a RAID array)
- Issue with hardware

Out of that list my guess is the controller.

I've seen something similar to this once before. I had a drive full of films and I ran a defrag on a drive some years ago and that corrupted everything in a similar way, each film went blocky at some point.

i have a hand full of cyanide capsules and a cup of coffee handy...it won't be long now and all this pain will be gone.....

Operating system is on 2 x Stripped SSD drives

Films/documentaries/moves etc. all stored on a 1 x 2TB drive

Back up drive(s) 2 x 1 x TB drives running as "mirror"

Just had a thought, the 1 x 2TB drive that has them all stored on was plugged into my on board SATA (working as a stand alone drive not configured into any RAID array)

How ever when the new DVD rom drives come out for the 360 games (to be able to burn them and verify) i had to plug that DVD ROM liteon direct into the board as when i was verifying the games the old pci RAID card that i had it plugged into was giving me problems, i think the buffer was not able to cope with the amount of data that it was trying to push through.....and yeah I'd run out of SATA ports as there's only bloody 5 on board!

Soooooo i un-plugged the 1 x 2TB Sata drive from the mother board on board SATA and then attached a Sata to USB converter to it and plugged it in via a usb port (USB III) on the back of the computer.

So i guess what i'll do when i get home is get it plugged back into the board and check the films etc. what i can't understand is that I've for example copied over the "family guy" episode that you see corrupt and tried to play that back on me lap top (so a completely different machine) and it's corrupt at the same point, suggesting that the "file" has been damaged at that particular point.

I've got the pills in my mouth, should i swallow them?

tabs221.jpg

i can't see there being any way back. Take the hit, they can all be replaced and re-downloaded .

in theory yes, in reality no.....i have documentaries and movies going back to the time of 2 speed DVD roms.....stuff that is like (and was) impossible to get my hands on in the 1st place.......but yeah i agree, it may be time to "face the truth" sucks at times don't it though!

as long as my home movies and home photos are backed up to 2 seperate drives on 2 seperate devices, i'm happy with that level of redundancy. My tv and films i'm not bothered about. Pain in the ar$e - yes but not the end of the world.

sometimes the worst happens just when u don't need it to!

yeah ain't it.....got all my photo's and home movies etc, software, stuff that i really, really need on a "mirror" RAID array and also have them on and old IDE drive that's sat off site.....just a massive pain in the ass with all me movies and documentaries, bits and bobs etc....

Wouldn't care it wasn't too long ago that i sat and copied all the divx files from all the spindles of disks i had and then gave them all away, 100's of them as well.......oh well, looks like I'll be bumping me downloading up over the next few months/years.....

Might be time to go onto the "50 meg" line from Virmin then.........

I once lost 100 gig of music & over 700 gig of video. It hurts so bad, you never really get over it. Thats the worst as well, when you spent time converting all your own stuff in best quality etc, hours upon hours of work, then BAM gone within an instant.
Feel your pain dude :( hope you solve the problem.

Thanks bud, sorry to hear of that, me mate i know what it's like, how ever, i have some good news...(makes a change) i un-plugged the sata to usb and plugged it back into the sata port on the mother board, then i re-booted, it gave me a "check disk" for the drive so i let it go ahead, now i couldn't really see any bad clusters are the like, so any way it's booted and i tried the same file back and it's played fine! thank the lord have mercy on my sole and all that....(athiest as well! would you believe it...any way don't want to start a flame war on that topic)

So plugged a PCI express card in and tried to connect the ihas drive (for backing up the 360 games) and it won't boot,. so balls it, plugged an old PCI card in and attached the ihas dvd burner to it, balls to having to verify a game for the 360 after a burn as long as i have the films and all that back, i have no idea and why?

I mean why and how could i copy a file from the drive to my lap top and it all be corrupted at the same point on another stand alone machine from this rig? 2 separate machines altogether? i can't and don't want to work it out as long as there working, it's been too stressful, all this so i could burn and verify some xbox 360 games.......

Any way...she's back for now...

I need to go get a stomach pump before these pills kick in.......

familyguy.jpg

Back