"Corked" my red?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right, not very often that I have a decent vintage, A few month ago I'd left a glass out and decided to neck it the following night (yeah well you know!) and it had loads of bits in the bottom of the glass. So I put it down to "corking".....

So last night I'd had a bottle, and tonight just went to have the last bit that was in the bottle and it's too got "bits" in the bottom?

Is this "corking" ? as after my last lot I'd been super careful last night not to ruin the cork?

Just don't get it.......

Just sediment probably, some wines need to be strained through muslin to remove it. Corking is where the cork shrinks and allows air into the bottle and the wine oxidises. It will taste like vinegar if totally gone.

I had a bottle of this once and it had sediment (this one tastes like Christmas cake by the way :)):

Chateau Musar-Lebanon-Majestic Wine

ah thanks mate, so it's not corking then, that's cleared that up.....

It was quite a nice bottle and thought I'd sip the last, suppose that's where the words "dreggs" comes from.....

Just a bit surprised that it's in the bottle and it's only there after sitting for 24 hours...... swigging it last night sure enough it didn't seem to be there.

I can't remember the last bottle what ever it was, but this one is....

Château Le Grand Moulin 2008

Producer
Gaec Du Grand Moulin
Country
Bordeaux, France

after reading it would seem that's it's not even an expensive vintage...... lol....oh well....

have you seen what I just swigged.....this is what's left at the bottom of the glass...

and Christmas cake, be rather drunk on that! :)

... I'd put it down to some infestation that was growing in here over night.... (remind me on to tell you about the carton of orange juice that I necked during the middle of the night when I lived near the coast and it was full of ants...) made me a little paranoid.....

.......actually I'd have had to make an attempt to open the bottle with my thumb to make as much cork as this, I've been investigating it for flaws for about 10 minutes...LOL

IMG_0572.jpg

Many decent reds will have sediment in the bottle, I have a few bottles of St Emillion 82 and 89 vintage from when we holidayed in the Dordogne. They all have "bits" I will always decant these bottles 1 to stop anybody "me" getting the sediment and 2 to let it breathe.

You might want to try decanting like hatab said. I think in another post you liked wine that had been out for a bit to breathe and decanting will let some air get at it.

That's what I've been enjoying about leaving a glass out over night. the "bite" of some of it goes, I'm not a one for a wine glass, anything from at the minute, fill up a southern comfort tumbler or a pint glass and away you go (me..lol) not very much etiquette in the consumption of red wine at the minute......! been finding that a glass left out by mistake actually tasted better the night after, it was like most things in life a mistake as I'd meant to drink it the night before but didn't and ended up drinking it the night after....let it breathe I hear you say (I know I did post about that red wine contraption that you poured your wine through the other day)

Just a bit taken by the fact that you have to filter it, I mean what a chew on......

What is it then? bit's of fruit? twigs and branches?

I know that the cheap stuff like blossom and all that is like Spectre says,vinegar taste. but just been enjoying a bottle of Turner Red at the minute, or Lindemans, had a bottle of the "waxed bat" the other night and that was the best wine I've tasted so far.....

I was enjoying breathing in and out as the flavors were so nice.....was like silk as well, so smooth, was un-real......an oz make I think it was. Think it stands for "the back of beyond" something like that reading about it.

one draw back I found from that was I went to bed and had to get up as I got the massive room spins on and thought wtf? I can handle this.....after all it was only a bottle. but was suddenly blotto.....school night as well!

So yeah back to the point, not enjoying the bits like, just had to look away as I poured it down the sink......was a little unsure of what it was..... ;)

Last edited:
You might want to try decanting like hatab said. I think in another post you liked wine that had been out for a bit to breathe and decanting will let some air get at it.

Yip! was just posting that as well :)

What do you have to do, to "decant" ? just pour it into another vessel and allow to "settle"

Sediment is pulp, yeast, bits of grape skin, finings...

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

There is probably filters or muslin to go into that thing.

had to read that a couple of times.... never knew what "muslin" was.... (n not orbit! until I was enlightened!) ;)

I see, I see, you learn something new everyday......good stuff.....

That bottle that I had that got me blot-toe was this puppy...

The Waxed Bat Shiraz Cabernet Malbec - Laithwaites

Looks like it's from Argentina and not OZ, must have been swigging from it whilst reading the label of another....

Decant,

open bottle and poor slowly from the bottle into your Claret jug..... Claret Jugs and Decanters - Antique and Vintage Silver - AC Silver do you see how much they are.

yes well any vessel, don't stop as soon as you stop the wine will go back into the bottle and disturb the sediment, causing what ever is left in the bottle to become really nasty. So you need to do in 1 action and as you get near the end if you have done it slowly you will see the sediment start to rise but it doesn't matter at this stage keep going slow and you will see the sediment start to make its way out as it gets near the neck stop.

Don't cry just chuck away what is left, its not worth it ive tried to get to much...

when you are doing this if you position a good light behind the bottle it will assist in seeing the sediment, also its NOT worth doing this if you have had a few 1 you will cock it up and get the sediment in you decanter and 2 its a waste drinking good wine when you have already had a few just have cheap wine then...

If you can decant and leave for an hour or so for the wine to get to room temp, enjoy

Last edited:
excellent post/replies chaps :) rep left...wine left... :) happy dayz

I was talking to a pal the other week and mentioning that I like the "shiraz" , never knew I'd become a connoisseur... Saying that i like any sentence that has the words wine and red in it....

Back