Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CD & DVD copying dvds

wesley.neary

Inactive User
Hello all.

Have a rather large dvd collection some of which are starting to get a bit battered, would like to know what the best program is to get round the protection so i can make copies for future use if any give up the ghost.

I have legally brought these dvd's just want to make copies incase of damage to originals any help greatly accepted

in the past ive used ...DVDFab Decrypter v2.9.6.6
I now rip the movie to my harddrive, then recode it with DVD shrink.

You could keep them all on an external hard drive so they are not filling up your pc, or on a media player.
I have a 500gig media player connected to the telly. Play them whenever you want and they don't get touched plus you've got a permenant copy.
You can backup photo's to it too and show them on the tv.

One of these but mine is a 500 gig m8

Cur1y

IMO DVDShrink, and many others seriously degrades the picture quality.
Recordable Dual layer disc are now a days inexpensive.

you may as well just decrypt the original and burn it back to a Dual layer and lose no picture quality.

If you want to copy the whole DVD (including menu's/extras/outtakes etc) then you will need to shrink the original DVD size down as prevously said, this means reducing the video quality.

OR you can RIP just the film without all the extras and additional languages and plop it on a DVD with no quality lost.

If you have a dual layer burner get some dual DVD's and make a 1:1 copy.

Also be careful with backing up to drives etc, as they can fail at any given time, if you want a proper backup use DVD media.

HTH

You will need to get another program to circumvent the copy protection as dvdshrink is no longer supported and will only rip older titles...by older i mean titles from 5years back.
You need to get either ripit4me (which is free) but not updated very often in fact i think this program has been ceased from updating ......but i would advise you to get Anydvd (www.slysoft.com) you get a fully working 21 day trial ....run this in the background and the run dvdshrink to decrypt and compress the disc....
After the trial it would be well worth purchasing the key....(lifetime and notified of updates)and as they are based in Bermuda and as such are out of reach of the copyright peeps.

Last edited:
Hi

Hi

i use dvd shrink 3.2 and just ripped the messangers tonight no problem

i find the older films are the ones i have problems with had a few that shrink wouldnt copy only then did i use rip it to me.

hopes this helps m8.

dvd shrink is a good program espescially in conjunction with anydvd, however, I have found that it will not decrypt sony dvd's.

The programs that I use for this are:
1. magic dvd ripper
2. dvd fab platinum

You could keep them all on an external hard drive so they are not filling up your pc, or on a media player.
I have a 500gig media player connected to the telly. Play them whenever you want and they don't get touched plus you've got a permenant copy.

What format did you rip them in, as this is something I plan on doing in the near future?

Thanks,

Ian

When you're dealing with DVD playback in a stand alone player (the one you hook up to your TV)
The file format is VOB and there are IFO files which instruct the player in which order and how to play them.

Most retail DVDs take up more than 4.4GB. Usually 5-6GB of space.

So if you want to back them up directly and essentially make a clone of the disk, you will need to purchase DVD+R DL media. The DL stands for dual layer, essentially there are two layers on the bottom of the disc. There are also double sided media, so each side of the disc can be written to. These are horrible and begging to be scratched in my opinion.

Most blank DVD media is single layer and can hold about 4.4GB of data. As you will have realised by now this is not large enough to store all the contents of your retail DVD.

Thus, DVDShrink has been recommended by a few earlier posters. It does exactly what it says and transcodes the movie to shrink it to fit to the single layer media (4.4GB). Inevitably there will be quality loss in this conversion process. DVDShrink is what is commonly known as a 1 click application. You essentially just click backup and it will automatically do the necessary processes for you.
It will produce .VOB files and and a couple of IFO files.
Just use Nero or another DVD burning suite to burn the files as "DVD-Video files".

Personally I have not used DVDShrink or 1-click applications for a number of years. For the most part you will not be able to notice quality degradation except in demanding scenes. This is because it uses a constant bit rate. E.g a scene where a house is on fire, some parts of the fire may look blurry and/or pixelated. Most people won't mind or notice them but I have a very keen eye and makes my viewing experience displeasing as quality always comes first for me.

Give DVDSHrink a try and see if you like it.
Sometimes DVDShrink will not work on it's own and you may need to rip the contents of the disc to your hard drive first of all. This can be done, as previously stated, using anydvd in the background. Alternatively you can use DVD Decrypter for most disks. Newer DRM on disks renders DVD Decrypter ineffective.

Try to use +R media because this will allow you to set the book-type. This is like a label or identifier to the DVD player on how it should treat the disk. DVD-R media's book-type cannot be set and remains as -R so some DVD players, most notably the cheaper ones have trouble playing these disks.

With +R disks you can set the book-type to +ROM so it will play without hassle on any DVD player (as long as the disk is of decent quality and not the cheapest thing you could find).
To set the book-type you will need to do it with the burning software you use.

Single layer blank media is quite inexpensive nowadays. They can be purchased from between 10-20p per disk. www.svp.co.uk www.ukdvdr.co.uk www.diskdepot.co.uk.
If you want to make a 1:1 copy then you will need the DL media which is about 60-80p per disc.

I personally use Cinema Craft Encoder SP with DVD Rebuilder Pro. This is a very long process. Where DVDShrink may take between 10 and 20 minutes to complete the conversion, DVD Rebuilder will take hours depending on how many encode passes you set it to.

There are some very good guides here if you want to learn more http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

When you're dealing with DVD playback in a stand alone player (the one you hook up to your TV)
The file format is VOB and there are IFO files which instruct the player in which order and how to play them.

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm also interested in ripping to a media player (hard disk) rather than DVD, then they would be easier to access.

Ian

Thank you for the detailed response. I'm also interested in ripping to a media player (hard disk) rather than DVD, then they would be easier to access.

Ian

If you don't want much hassle, you can use another 1 click method with programs such as ones found on the following page http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-avi-divx-xvid

AutoGK or Auto Gordian Knot would probably be the best. AutoGK is a one click version of GK. If you know what you're doing you can use Gordian Knot, if you are not sure then stick to something like AutoGK or TMPGEnc Xpress.

There are many other programs out there which do the same job so the choice is really yours. These programs will provide a choice of codec you can use, xvid being the most recommended and will output the rip in .AVI format for easy access. DVD rips in this way could take about 1 hour I think to complete, depending on your system speed.

Back