work related problem trying to sack someone

Well there f***ed first rule of thumb all employers have a duty of care to there employees , so this document should have been produced on her site induction, she should have read it and signed that she had done so and understood .Regarding the safeguarding issue , does the company know your niece falls in to the vulnerable adult category ?

Yes they do know, there's another problem. With her been classed as a vunerable she brought up the matter of her hours , what time of night she finishes. She was employed to finish at 6pm because of her condition (not feeling safe at night) but after a few months they changed her hours to 8pm. She complained as she doesn't feel safe leaving work at night so they said they would change them back but they never did.
They are doing their best to make a mountain out of a mole hill just to get rid of her. She doesn't want to go back as the line she works make sure she's not made welcome as they are all Polish not one English and they look each other.

All's she wants is to be finished without anything on her record/CV so she can try and seek further employment.

Yes they do know, there's another problem. With her been classed as a vunerable she brought up the matter of her hours , what time of night she finishes. She was employed to finish at 6pm because of her condition (not feeling safe at night) but after a few months they changed her hours to 8pm. She complained as she doesn't feel safe leaving work at night so they said they would change them back but they never did.
They are doing their best to make a mountain out of a mole hill just to get rid of her. She doesn't want to go back as the line she works make sure she's not made welcome as they are all Polish not one English and they look each other.

All's she wants is to be finished without anything on her record/CV so she can try and seek further employment.

I don't think employers can actually give negative references now.

I don't think employers can actually give negative references now.

No they can't, if asked they would confirm the dates of employment but that is almost code in saying I can't say anything else in my mind.

In saying that the wife just got a job where a reference just confirmed the dates but on another reference she luckily had glowing one after that.

Last edited:
I think she's more worried about the next employer asking her reasons for leaving her last job and this pile of crap pops up.

She was sacked, for so called "Inappropriate and racist remarks on Facebook". They are appealing the decision.

They tried the charities mentioned but none could offer any legal help or advice.

She was sacked, for so called "Inappropriate and racist remarks on Facebook". They are appealing the decision.

They tried the charities mentioned but none could offer any legal help or advice.

Not good news mate :( Looks like a trip to CAB might be a good place to start

No they can't, if asked they would confirm the dates of employment but that is almost code in saying I can't say anything else in my mind.

In saying that the wife just got a job where a reference just confirmed the dates but on another reference she luckily had glowing one after that.

Unfortunately this is a bit of a myth/grey area, anything can be submitted in a reference as long as it is factually correct and can be proven. for example "employ was late daily" - proof employ used a clocking in system.

most employers will generally provide a basic reference over a negative reference to avoid any legal challenge.

She has took legal advise and asked the solicitor do they have a case. He said in his opinion they have a very strong case for unfair dismissal. There was no issue at work with any fellow workers and the statements have no reference to work nor are they racist.
She has since told us she was treated like the black sheep as she was the only English worker in her department. The workers all spoke in Polish and on numerous occasions extra packing was dumped on her while others helped each other to complete their extra work. She never complained as she loved her job and was scared to say anything in fear of losing her job which she did anyway.

I know you haven't said much about the employer, but from what you have said and my own experience I would hazard a guess at it being [admin edit], in fact I would be surprised if it wasn't them !

I know you haven't said much about the employer, but from what you have said and my own experience I would hazard a guess at it being [admin edit], in fact I would be surprised if it wasn't them !
I was "amaze on" how hard they tried to get rid of her :)

I agree A tribunal will hammer them.

Back