Copper coins.

danforth

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since my first attempt at a poll could be called "less than successful", thought I'd start my first thread.
Please be gentle (When the wind blows strongly towards you it is better not to water the lawn).
I didn't type the last bit, not called the oracle for nothing, please may I continue without supervision. :Biggrin2:

Trudged down to the local shop because of the weather, got a handful of copper coins, profuse apologies
etc, but I know he'll get shirty next time I try to spend them there.
Usually go into the charity bin in a shop, what happens after that don't really care. Came back looking for
penniless urchins, even they've gone upmarket. :) No accusations of urchinism.

Eventually, they'll finish up in big jar, used for toe stubbing purposes. When the howl limit is reached,
I'll end up going to the local bank, after bagging etc. I don't want copper coins, haven't for a long time,
they've been useless for years. My wife keeps saying that to me. :)

What can you buy (individually) for less than 5p ? Round it up on combined purchases, I don't care.
My mini protest is to pass them across a magnet, during the bagging process. Not tried doctored copper
in counting / weighing machines, the local bank is closer, may try that when I get more annoyed.

Just realized this is reaching mini rant blood pressure, but surely minting, transport, sheer handling time
must cost more than the face value ! I remember when rounding up with decimalization, caused uproar.
Suppose I should be grateful to be around whinging the other way !
That's inflation, good job the BoE target is likely to be 3% !

I save them up and then chuck them into one of those Supermarket coin machines that gives you a voucher worth about 75% of their value. The other 25% goes to charity.

HH and Danforth.....

Cut from the same cloth ;)

I would disagree but not enough space...

...however, modern copper coins are magnetic (to reduce costs), later counting machines use a slot-size technique rather than weight. The spending process should be aligned to the distribution process i.e. slip a few in with every transaction as the BofE do to get them out there in the first place.

BofE slip a few bags out to every bank in exchange for a reduced fee for other, erm, services...

...hence, no distribution costs ;)

I would disagree but not enough space...

...however, modern copper coins are magnetic (to reduce costs), later counting machines use a slot-size technique rather than weight. The spending process should be aligned to the distribution process i.e. slip a few in with every transaction as the BofE do to get them out there in the first place.

BofE slip a few bags out to every bank in exchange for a reduced fee for other, erm, services...

...hence, no distribution costs ;)

You get serious when I don't. Is that the rule ? :Biggrin2:

Still think it's a pain for all concerned, wonder if magnetism would screw slot technique as well, still slots could be
say food grade stainless steel, then passed through AC field. Must admit never noticed magnetism in everyday use,
but general knocking about must induce some. Maybe just time wasting, but it makes me feel better.

If you read the early part of my post, and experience suggests you read very carefully, I honestly did not type
the wind direction quote. Puzzled for a bit, then thought if I was a Mod, I would want to monitor the start of
all new threads to chop them off asap if necessary. Guess that's one of the auto save functions.
The appropriate quote popped in at just the time it made sense. Then we get this scandalous assertion from Exos.
Since neither of us believe in divine intervention, you probably already know what I just suspect ! :Biggrin2:
Going to line my cloth cap with tin foil !

As an aside, this Cyprus business makes HMG look competent. Seems omnishambles or cluster(whatever)
has a new benchmark ! :)

Or same cap cloth, mines a tad smaller, need less capacity! ;)

But South Yorkshire is positively Mediterranean in comparison? Who needs a big cap?

Erm, there are no rules in terms of seriousness (or otherwise). Mods understand more than we realise, this is why Exos is one ;)

As far as Cyprus is concerned, the detail is for another thread, let's just say it's an ideal opportunity to blow a hole in someone else's crock ;)

Think about it. Small island, not too many get shafted, good place to try a little experiment. Germans hacked off with bailing out Southern states, lots of Russian money in Cyprus. So a few innocents get shot - didn't stop them anywhere else did it?

Last edited:
But South Yorkshire is positively Mediterranean in comparison? Who needs a big cap?

Erm, there are no rules in terms of seriousness (or otherwise). Mods understand more than we realise, this is why Exos is one ;)

As far as Cyprus is concerned, the detail is for another thread, let's just say it's an ideal opportunity to blow a hole in someone else's crock ;)

Think about it. Small island, not too many get shafted, good place to try a little experiment. Germans hacked off with bailing out Southern states, lots of Russian money in Cyprus. So a few innocents get shot - didn't stop them anywhere else did it?

Just given it a quick dip, 8 inches + here, guess you have more drifts. We're getting a lot of media coverage at the moment.
Assume a flake is yet to fall in the South East. But you're harder in t'North, folklore says so, though even tonight here,
there will be teen - 25 walking from pub to club etc, in short sleeved shirts, thought it was a macho thing, but now I've reached the
invisible age, and can look without reaction, can't see any goose pimples. Maybe eyesight gone as well. :)

Won't comment on Mods, was technically a rocker anyway, besides once you think you're being watched, it's usually good enough.

Agree about Cyprus, gives a warning to the rest of Southern Europe, for German election etc, but ripple effect may backfire.
May cost more overall though, but then election will be past. Interesting times in that area.
Couldn't give me a haircut though, nature got there first. :)

This thread seems forgotten, but I'm surprised none spotted a flaw in the OP. Just to tidy up before I move on.

Joined in a few general chat threads which finished in the rant room, hope not because of me, became polarized, and went round in circles.
While I enjoy the occasional snipe in many threads, maybe because of my random hours, I mostly appear to put threads to "bed"
in the last post (hope it's not just me). I thought a better idea would be to start a new thread instead of being parasitic in others.
Didn't want to start in the rant room, got plenty of ammunition, but wanted something mainstream, with a bit of a twist.

The bit about slogging through the snow was true, so was my annoyance with the copper coins, and the idea of magnetic revenge.
Tried it when I got home, didn't work even with a hefty speaker magnet, no need to go into the reasons, unless anyone wants to,
but that was the twist I was looking for, mixed with a little humour, and I think a valid point.

Surprises then :-

1) None disagreed about the idea of abandoning metal brown stuff, seems as wanted as the usual brown stuff.

2) The posts concentrated on the magnetic aspect, but no one tried it, unless they didn't want to disagree,
difficult to believe on this forum. It's a simple, quick test. Who hasn't got brown stuff and a magnet ?
Have you ever seen a clump of stuck together coins, ignoring contact adhesive, epoxy etc.
Most of you scrutinize the OP, and you don't appear gullible, quite the reverse, but even with the nudge about
stainless steel chutes, and demag coils in counting machines (pure fantasy afaik) no one caught on.

I could conclude most people have better things to do, but I'm thinking about a second career, can I interest anyone
in one coat paint ? It doesn't do what it says on the tin, but will you notice. :)

...one coat paint ? It doesn't do what it says on the tin, but will you notice.

Invented for men who want to shut women up and are not much interested in DIY perhaps?

Back