cooling DM800

tak to opravdu nevim co mam delat
after reading a few storied about the 800 being a bit slow due to overheating, i decided to get it as hot as i could during normal use

i turned the 360 on right next to it, while recording one HD channel and watching something else

and jesus, did it get hot

while it was like this, the menus were sluggish as hell, it was unresponsive to the remote, it was crap

so i took it all apart

i took a small fan from a faulty sky+ box, and started looking for somewhere to shove it (i know what some of you are thinking lol), and with a HDD installed, and the eSATA connection removed, there still wasnt enough space for this small fan

the majority of the heat seemed to be coming from the tuner itself, so ideally i wanted to direct airflow over the tuner, so i put the hard drive and eSATA connector back in, and started to look at the case itself for options

now i didnt want a fan plonked on top of the box, that could fall off or be bumped while the kids are playing with the consoles, so i decided to fit it to the side of the receiver, directing air directly over and under the tuner module, and out through the top and opposite side of the receiver, this will also circulate air over and under the hard drive as well

i decided against hard wiring the fan to the internal USB, and instead put a small coupler near the fan, and made 2 different length usb leads, one just fits to the rear socket of the receiver, the other is long enough to plug into the xbox next to the dreambox to run the fan at a higher speed

ill attach photos an a while, at the moment im getting it as hot as possible again, im monitoring this by looking at the HDD temp, at the moment its on 42'C and has been climbing for the last 10 mins or so, once it levels out, ill start the fan from the back of the receivers usb socket and see how low it brings it

ill take screen shots of the temp as well as show pics of how i fitted it

:)

dd

tak to opravdu nevim co mam delat

Přečtěte si zbytek závitu a uvidíte, že jsem to perfektní

prosím, poštou v angličtině

please post in english

and the rest of the thread, including pictures, shows that ive got the running temprature from approx 48 degrees C to less than 23 degrees C for less than $3

tnx, i looked but to no avail..do you have a link? is it under £5?

Hi, I have just ordered one of these fans, am I right when I say that all I need to do is cut the end off an old usb lead and connect the black and red wire to the black and red on the dual fan?

Thanks.

Can't see a thanks button anywhere, but thanks for the reply.

Just wondering if there is anyway to stop the fan when the 800 is in standby?

Thanks.

Just toying with the idea of using the hdd space for heat extraction fan and a usb external drive .... choices choices lol

has anyone come up with a solution to this?

only had mine a few days so not had much chance to play with it yet.
also does anyone have any wiring diagram for the 800 as i'll have a look with regards to the fan shutdown in standby if they do?

Cheers

has anyone come up with a solution to this?

only had mine a few days so not had much chance to play with it yet.
also does anyone have any wiring diagram for the 800 as i'll have a look with regards to the fan shutdown in standby if they do?

Cheers

You can connect to the fan to SCART pin8 (+ around 6V) and pin18 (ground). There is very little current so the fan has te be really small. You can get rid of the resistor on the red lead - the voltage on the MB is 12V, so the fan may be too slow on 6V.

im pretty sure pin 8 also throws a 13v widescreen switching signal as well m8

Back