Converting channel master 1.2m polar mount with actuator to h-h motor?

headwest

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've aquired an old channel master 1.2m f/glass dish complete with seized up actuator. The mount is badly corroded and I've no desire to get into setting up a positioner, etc so I'm looking at converting it to use with my technomate 2600 motor. I've had a good google and cannot find a conversion kit, so does anyone know if there are kits available? The dish is nearly 20 years old though! If there's no kit available I will make one, but I'd rather buy one if possible to save on time and effort. The dish weighs a ton! The mount and actuator is almost as heavy so I'm a bit concerned that the motor may struggle if I just add an insert to convert the mount from 3" to 2"ish to mount on the tm motor. Also I'm concerned with the dish weight itself, so does anyone use a cm1.2 with a tm-2600 motor? The dish being f/glass is in great condition except for the build up of bird shite, crud and mosses on the face. I intend to rub the face down with an electric sander and vynal wrap it with a camouflage foliage to blend it in with the tree's as my mount is at the bottom of the garden. I will post pic's of my progess if anyone is interested. I'm replacing my Orbital 1.0m with this dish and am keen to see if channel master live up to their reputation.

Cheers

Its pretty much non advisable to use the CM 1.2 with a diseqc HH motor as you already stated the dish is way to heavy, The motor would drive it but life expectancy goes from years to months due not only the weight but the wind load factor as well.

If you have the original polar mount my first advise would be to try and salvage clean up as best you can and get another actuator and vbox to control the dish, if you are set on mounting it on a diseqc motor then look at the the Stab 120HH with the adaptor rings that takes the stub from 52mm up to 76mm which is what the CM mount takes, as your probably aware the CM mount sits on top of a pole preferably 76mm and that is why i suggest the Stab as its stub is pointing up and not down like other Diseqc motors. so with the rings you basically just sit the CM straight on top of the Stab.

Good luck

You need a 36volt motor to move that dish, a diseqc motor is not up to the job for that weight and wind load. Actuators are cheap enough so I would look at repairing the polar mount as best you can. I would not rub the face of the dish down with an electric sander, there is too much risk of losing the reflective profile of the dish. Get some cream cleaner and a mild scouring pad and give it a scrub by hand, that will clean it up enough without losing the profile of the reflective surface.

Cdmt
Pimpi

Back